PDA

View Full Version : French polish finish

Chuck Harris
05-22-2006, 10:33 AM
I was finishing some turned work this weekend trying to clear out the workshop sort of. i had picked up a can of the Bullseye french polish to give it a try. I ran into a small problem. I tried using it like a frictoin polish but I would get streaks in the wood after. I have had the same problem with other friction polishes as well in the past. How do I aviod this when using a friction polish in bowls and such?

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Chuck...........I've been using Miland's Friction polish. Initially I had streaking problems. What I think was causing it was trying to put too much on at once and not moving the applicator enough while putting it on while turning.

I resolved the problem by first, putting on a fairly liberal coat without the lathe turning the project. Then turning on the lathe and using the original applicator to "move" the stuff around. I keep the applicator (paper towel) moving and try not to stay in one spot too long. The following coats I apply light coats using a paper towel and try to keep moving the towel. It seems to work for me.

Good luck! It can be challenging.

Bernie Weishapl
05-22-2006, 5:27 PM
I use Mylands Friction polish also. I had the same problem and Ken hit the nail on the head. Don't glob it on and don't hold your finger in one place to long. Keep moving.

Cecil Arnold
05-22-2006, 9:14 PM
In addition to what Ken and Bernie said, you might try some mineral oil on your applicator rag, then dip it in the FP. This will give you some "build" without the streaks. For your final coat, wipe off the oil and do a light coat of FP.

John Hart
05-23-2006, 6:41 AM
I will put the bowl in my lap and watch a movie while doing the French Polish thing. Shellac gives me fits on the lathe unless I'm doing pens. I put the finish on, fairly liberal...then take my BLO soaked rag and dip it in DNA and polish in a figure-8 pattern, allowing the DNA to redissolve the shellac and create an even distribution. Watched some guy demo this method finishing guitars on the DIY channel a while back.