PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press improvement

Nissim Avrahami
05-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Good day

Finally, I decided to re-new my drill press table.

The sacrificial plates are made of the same floor panels that I used for the CS guide.

The rulers are $1 each.

And the pictures will tell the rest of the story.

Regards
niki

Nissim Avrahami
05-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Pictures, part II

Ellen Benkin
05-22-2006, 12:59 PM
I love a simple solution. The ruler implants are a great idea that I think I will add to my router table. Thanks for posting this.

Helen Gee
05-22-2006, 1:01 PM
wow!! I'm learning a lot from your postings :) thanks for posting and keep them coming please!!!

Frank Chaffee
05-22-2006, 2:13 PM
And good day to you, Niki.

Thank you for documenting the design and construction of your table. Your logical methodology will help many, I’m sure.

There are two very minor points I would like to inquire about however.

First, I did not see that you aligned the y axis of the table to the known crest of the press post. Yes, I also know the difference between the sin of 90° and the sin of 89°, so this is of little consequence, but still, I would transfer the post diameter to the table and square from there to be sure. Do you detect any hints of insecurity in my approach?

Secondly Niki, I, at least, would find it very difficult to zero the drill axis to a board edge using the web of a drill bit. For this I would be inclined to chuck a smooth drill rod and compensate accordingly using a caliper.

Opps! I forgot that this is a woodworking forum.

Again Niki, thanks for sharing your distilled intelligence with us. It is greatly appreciated.

Frank

John Miliunas
05-22-2006, 2:42 PM
Oh, fer cryin' out loud, Niki! I made my DP table 3 or 4 years ago and now, you're gonna' make me take it off and modify it for those dang rulers!!! :mad: Centerline of the DP table??? Who ever heard of such nonsense?! Obviously, I didn't and am now cussing at myself for all the time it would've helped me in duplicating operations!!! :o OK "Mr. McGeyver", points well taken and I look forward to the next installment of "Niki's Helpful Hints, Tricks and Jigs"!!! :D Well done, my friend and man, am I ever happy you found this forum!!! :) :cool:

Dan Oliphant
05-22-2006, 2:49 PM
Excellent post Niki, well documented AND quite a usable idea, well done.

Norman Hitt
05-22-2006, 4:41 PM
Very Nicely designed, built, and documented, Niki. :)

and for "Insekure Frank",:D I guess u'll jest have ta start with a Deeper table, draw a centerline, then drill a hole centered on that line and persactly the diameter of the DP Tube/Post, then slice off the the back of tha table to remove the back half of that tube hole and then slide it against the tube. (that should 'sure you of the purfect 'lignment on the "Y" Axis"). Now if u've Stil got some of them Insecure feelings bout gettin' that Dot persactly correct, welllllllll .............I guess u'll jest have to dig up 'bout 5 er 6 Bucks, 'n order one 'O them sharp pernted Router bit centerin pins ta use 'stead of that drill bit.:D Hope theez idears help calm them 'Chinist Insecurity Feelin's.;) :D :D

ps; jest let me no iff'n I kan be uv futher hep.

Nissim Avrahami
05-22-2006, 4:47 PM
Thank you all very much for your warm comments

Frank
If you gave me a challenge…
I’ll try to push it within the 5 pictures.
Its not a 100% accuracy but very close to it.
I hope that you will find it helpful.
If you have other method, please go ahead.

Thanks
niki

Frank Chaffee
05-22-2006, 5:27 PM
Thank you so much for this follow-up post Niki!

Sometimes I get so involved in details that I cannot rest until every last one of them has been incorporated in a construction flow chart. Whew, you have now done this for me, and I am grateful.

…and for "Insekure Frank"…,:D
ps; jest let me no iff'n I kan be uv futher hep.
Tankn u 2 heer Norman.

Frank

Nissim Avrahami
05-22-2006, 5:47 PM
Thank you Frank

John Miliunas
I did not finish with you yet. You don’t know what’s going to “fall” on you tomorrow.
Thank you so much for your encouraging compliments.

Norman Hitt
I’m foreigner, English is not my firs language, not to mention American language.

Thanks
niki

John Miliunas
05-22-2006, 5:56 PM
I’m foreigner, English is not my firs language, not to mention American language.

Thanks
niki

Niki, I wish that more of our American-born counterparts had nearly the fluency in the English language, which you demonstrate (myself inclusive:o )!!! Well done! :) :cool:

Steven J Corpstein
05-22-2006, 7:16 PM
Thank you Frank

Thanks
niki

Nobody here is a foreigner. We're all woodworkers. Thanks for your post.

Bob Noles
05-22-2006, 8:47 PM
Niki,

I cannot begin to tell you how I have grown to look forward to your posts. They are extremely educational and full of inspiration.

Thanks so much.

Norman Hitt
05-23-2006, 6:18 AM
Thank you Frank

Norman Hitt

Thanks
niki

Niki, I was just Joshing Frank a little with a some "Southern Redneck" Terminology.:D

PS: I liked the system you used in the second set of pictures too.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-23-2006, 6:50 AM
Nobody here is a foreigner. We're all woodworkers. Thanks for your post.

VERY Well said!! :D

Great Post Nikki!!

Cheers!

Nissim Avrahami
05-23-2006, 7:37 AM
Norman Hitt
I was just kidding, actually, I worked in Japan with a few guys from Atlanta, took me some time to get use to their pronunciation; Faa, Faa, (five, five) but the were such a nice guys.
Thank you for your kind comments.

Stu Sensei, ogenki de gozimasu ka.
Hontoo ni doomo arigato gozaimashita.
Next time I’ll be in Japan I’ll come to visit you, I followed all your saga.

niki