PDA

View Full Version : Never in my wildest dreams

harry strasil
05-22-2006, 9:32 AM
Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined my wanting to share some of my knowledge and skill (such as it is) with like minded people (predominantly hand tool users) would cause so much contraversy and squabbling.

I have never met Mike W and am sorry I got him into this can of worms so to speak.

I do have a few power tools, table saw, bandsaw, planer, old radial arm saw etc, and I do use them in my basement shop, but never any power tools when out doing demos. It has taken me a long time to be at least a little profiecient with the use of hand tools, and I do like to make tools. So I am not a true Neander in the strict sense of the word.

I think it would be best for SMC and all concerned if I just withdrew my offer to attempt to give away the fruit of my labor on this site. And I am FORMALLY withdrawing my offer at this time.

I apologize to SMC and those I seem to have offended and regret the contravercy I seem to have caused this excellent Forum.

Thank You

Jr. Strasil

Lets drop the subject and get on with making chips and shavings and cease the bickering.

tod evans
05-22-2006, 10:07 AM
jr, if my post about burning electrons started all of the fuss please accept my apology also.
i think ya`lls offer to make a saw and give it away was very generous and shows your hearts are in the right place.....02 tod

Charles McKinley
05-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Hello Harry,

Please reconsider as i and I'm sure many others have benefited and greatly enjoyed your post. I'm sorry that I have not been here in a few days and havemissed this problem but I hope thast a resolution can be reached that includes your informative and picture filled post.

If you do relocate on the web please let us know where.

Tyler Howell
05-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Let's just dispence with all the hassle and send them to me. They will be well loved, used and lots of pictures taken:cool:

Dave Anderson NH
05-22-2006, 11:34 AM
I am truly sorry that the thread and the offer degenerated into such a series of misunderstandings. I guess that this is one of those cases where the somewhat cynical adage, "No good deed goes unpunished" applies. I commend you Harry for your desire to help out both the general membership with your information packed posts and your generous offer to donate a custom made tool to one of our members. I hope this hasn't "put you off" to our hand tools haven.

Please accept my personal apologies for not having been around to jump into and control the discussion at an earlier time.

Dave

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Harry,

First off I'd like to apologize for any hard feelings that you might have. I'm not a complete "neander" but do have and use some "neander" tools. I always enjoy your posts! I learn a lot.

I use the "new post" button a lot and therefore see new posts from all the forums.

I appreciate you desire to donate a fine saw to the members and your desire see it go to a "neander" or a person who'd appreciate it!

I'm sorry that some members get a little riled and come across in a manner that seems harsh at times. With respect to all SMCer's........as much as I appreciate SMC...and few find the Creek more enjoyable than I ...IMHO.....it's not a life or death matter.......it's important but there really are more important things in life to be concerned about! Having a verbal shoving match .........just isn't really what I consider important.....

Sorry if any of our members offended you. It truly is out of character for SMC! Neat place.....Neat people...............most of the time.

Brent Smith
05-22-2006, 2:17 PM
Harry, may I make a suggestion. Open the draw to anyone who posts a picture of a project (be it a simple stool or an 18th century reproduction) made entirely with handtools. No one is blocked from entering and the saw goes to someone who works with hand tools. So that everyone learns of it, post in all the forums.

Brent

Mike Wenzloff
05-22-2006, 2:35 PM
These suggestions post-mealtdown is what I think would have been beneficial in the original thread.

Perhaps this tone and spirit of helpfulness, along with perhaps a private message from the mod to at least Harry, would have prevented the direction it took.

Thank you all for taking the time to give the matter thought and come up with helpful means to resolve the issue.

Take care, Mike

Bruce Page
05-22-2006, 2:54 PM
Harry, I think your original offer was very generous. I personally had no problem with it but I knew it would cause a stir. I think Dave Anderson's "No good deed goes unpunished" sums it up.

Dennis McDonaugh
05-22-2006, 3:40 PM
This is about the most ridiculeous situation I've ever seen. When the rules of the board stop good people from attempting to do good deeds, then the rules need to be changed. If we can't see that, then we aren't as smart as I thought we were. Seems to me this is a case of stopping Mike and Harry from doing a good deed because somebody (unnamed and unknown at this time) may be offended in the future. That's just too PC for me to even fathom.

Norman Gallaher
05-22-2006, 7:03 PM
I just read a lot as I am still learning.

But this reminds me of the time I purchased a new blade for my plane and forgot to sharpen it before I used it.

It did not cut any better than its predecessor.

Norm:confused:

harry strasil
05-22-2006, 7:12 PM
I love that one Norm, Cart before the horse syndrome, but that's me, look at my cart for moving my toolboxes, I BEHIND it. Thanks for the ray of sunshine in the depression I created.

Steve Clardy
05-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Well I was really floored after opening up your other post Harry.
I noticed it the other day, didn't post, just bookmarked it.
Then this evening, I couldn't believe what was going on about it.
I really wanted to post my feelings about it, but figured I'd just add fuel to the fire.
I feel like your gesture of giving a usuable tool away is a Grand idea Harry. Cheers to you!!

Jerry Olexa
05-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Harry You are certainly well intentioned and trying to help which is what SMC is all about ,I think. Pls reconsider and go back to your old ways. You make a big impact on this forum w your informative posts... PLEEZZE:) :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Sorry for the trouble I caused Harry, you are a good man.

Don Hunsecker
05-23-2006, 2:22 PM
I am new to this forum...new in the sense that I have never posted here before, but not new to reading the forum, I have been doing that for a few months. I have never posted because I have had anything to post that would be worthwhile or relevant to any topic, however, I had to register here for this one post. Not sure if I have done so correctly or completely.

I doubt that Harry would remember, but I met Harry at one of his demos several years ago. It was a slooooow day at the event and I do not know if he sensed more than curosity in my interest in his demo or what, but the next thing that I knew I was on the "other side of the ropes" and there was a kid in the candy store...not me...Harry. I have never met anyone with more enthusiasm for his craft, nor anyone more willing to share his knowledge. Because of him, I have a fairly extensive tool box of hand tools, a forge, anvil and a few tools of that trade. That which I do not have, I build as needed. Because of him my last project was to build a small workbench (small shop) and with wedges, gluts, ax, broadax and hand tools I rendered maple and oak logs into a workbench.

I have never had the opportunity to thank Harry for instilling in me that day many years ago to push out the boundaries of my own knowledge, so, allow me the moment to say a very hearty: Thank you Harry. It is so nice to know that you are so willing to offer help to others.

That being said, I will return to my seat in the rear, sit down and continue to listen. (I learn more with my mouth shut and ears open.)

PS Harry, I am passing along what little I have learned to those who are interested. My next horizion is coopering. Should be "fun.";)

Don

harry strasil
05-23-2006, 3:50 PM
Don, I am getting on in years and I meet so many people when I am out demoeing, But the name Kelly seems familiar and Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop seems to kinda be related with the memory some how. I may be wrong, but those senior moments come and go. LOL

Thank you for the compliment, It really makes my day that I could impress someone to take up learning the old ways and methods. I hope you keep at it and continue learning and using old methods and tools.

Jr. Strasil