PDA

View Full Version : Curing Maple Turning blanks

Kyle Kraft
05-22-2006, 9:24 AM
I have some figured hard maple that a friend would like to spin into some classy goose calls, and I need to know how to dry/cure/store the blanks to minimize cracking/splitting/checking. The wood is green and fresh cut yesterday. I wrapped it in plastic immediately and gave the stuff to him today. Any suggestions??

Kyle in K'zoo

Don Baer
05-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Kyle,
Get some green wood sealer and seal those blanks up. Most use Anchor seal but if you can't get that Rocklers sells a similar product. You can find it in the Turning section. I just picked up a gallon for $20. They'll sell you a qt for $10 so I went with the gallon.

Jim Ketron
05-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Do like Don said and get you some Anchorseal/wax! Completely coat the end grain and overlap the wax on all sides about an inch or so on the side grain on both ends. Sticker it like you would air dried lumber put some weight on top to keep it from warping and store it in a well ventilated spot and allow around 1 year per inch of board thickness.

John Hart
05-22-2006, 12:03 PM
I'd like to add that you might get mold by wrapping in plastic.....causing discoloration of the wood....maybe.:)

Kyle Kraft
05-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Thank you for all the replies! My friend has a bucket of the Anchorseal stuff that a logger friend gave him, so I think we're in business...thanks again!

Kyle in K'zoo