PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
05-22-2006, 9:03 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

Today is the day that I go and talk with the 4th level boss about our ever increasing workload and the lack of people to get the job done without killing everyone of us. :rolleyes:

This was a good weekend. I continued working on the computer desk that I've been commissioned to make for a guy at work. It will be a flattop black lacquer desk with no drawers and such underneath. I've come up with a leg design that he liked and I'm in the middle of the glueup of the first two legs (6 total) and I can't seem to make any headway on getting the glueup done because I only have 26 clamps that I can use on the glueup, and that only takes care of one leg at a time.....so it's a leg a day. :)

I will be starting the next to the last flatwork project after this desk piece. I have a lady at work that wants a kitchen table, rounded on the ends, so I get to figure out how to make a curved skirt for each end of the table. Anybody got any ideas about bending or laminating for a curved table skirt? Tod?????:confused:

Took the family with me Saturday morning to cut some firewood and it was a good breakin time for the new Stihl saw and my arms, back, legs, shoulders.....well, you get the picture. :rolleyes:

I didn't play bass at church on Sunday as it was my Sunday to just "have a day off" and it was GREAT. I'm also in the middle of taking music theory for the 1st time in my life. I never knew that music could become so complicated but at age 47, most things like that are complicated. :o :)

It's back to work today and I'm just hoping and praying that things go well today in my "talks with the 4th boss".

So, what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of Weeks to you ALL!!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2006, 9:10 AM
Saturday........a little "Work work" and a little yard work.

Sunday....relaxed..........First weekend off work in 3.........

Mark Pruitt
05-22-2006, 9:21 AM
Hope you get what you want from the 4th level boss, Dennis.

Good weekend for me as well. Saturday I worked outside, planted an Acauba shrub, some blue salvia & amathys, 10 lillies, 2 hostas, 18 marigolds and a fern. Hopefully I can keep the deer away from my beds....

Made a little more progress on the workbench, got the four legs glued up and two of the legs cleaned. With the remaining two in the clamps I was at a stopping place, and this happened:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36866

.....and that pretty well summed up the weekend for me!:D

Bart Sharp
05-22-2006, 9:23 AM
I spent Saturday assembling a new set of shelves for my daughter's room...she'll be having a new baby brother or sister moving in with her any day now and we need all the storage space we can cram into our tiny apartment. Yesterday I spent all morning painting them out in the sun, getting redder and redder the whole time. By the end, I was so happy when I got to the point of screwing on the back and being all done...until I set them back upright and realized what I had done...

Anyone see it coming? I painted the shelves face-up on the ground, then promptly attached the back without flipping it over. So now I get to paint all of the back (now front) edges! I thought I was done!!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-22-2006, 9:24 AM
Mainly I kept myself out of trouble on Sunday. We had the local Mikoshi festival.....

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/mikoshi/from_the_front2.jpg
Carrying around a feaking heavy portable shrine, I have to work, while the rest of the hood gets drunk, not a real highlight of my week:rolleyes:

I did this a few times, it is seriously a killer. As I'm taller than most, I either hold up one corner myself, or do the duck walk all day :eek:

Back, the last time I did it, by the end of the day, my shoulders were bleeding....
The next day, my leg hurt so much I could not put my socks on...

I did get to blow up a nice NE bowl I was working on, but I don't know if that is an "Accomplishment or not:p

Good luck with the 4th level or hell, ah I mean the 4th boss :D

Cheers!

Jim Becker
05-22-2006, 9:46 AM
Well, Dennis..."enjoy" your time with the folks higher up the food chain. I hope you can convince them you don't want to be a full-time woodworker... ;) err... (Seriously, I do hope they start to see what's happening and work to fix it)

And...I know for giving the old Stihl a bit of exercise as you can see in this thread I posted in the turning forum (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36792). That was my Saturday. Sunday was moaning, groaning, hurting, sitting on the Kubota to cut the grass and re-grade some areas in need of that and taking the girls to their swimming lessons at the Y.

Frank Pellow
05-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Good luck talking to the boss of the boss of the boss of your boss Dennis! I have been there and done that and sometimes it even works.

The weather here has been rotten this long Victoria Day weekend, so I have not accomplished much of anything. But, with the extended weekend, there is still today and, although it is cold, it is not raining so I might still get something accomplished.

Tyler Howell
05-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Chasing electrons over the weekend. Good friends are getting ready to go cruising for three years:cool: . We met in sailing class 11 years ago. We've got a lot a miles under the keal together.
I've been wrenching on this boat for about 6 years now and she's almost ready to go.:D :D .
Some good food, fresh air, and great memories with old friends.
TJH

Don Baer
05-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Hey Tyler,
did ya get any turning done..:D

Tyler Howell
05-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Hey Tyler,
did ya get any turning done..:D
Hey Don,
I turned the ships wheel from side to side to see if my rudder was straight and stops were balanced:confused: That's what you mean right :confused: :rolleyes: :D

Bob Noles
05-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Dennis,

Thoughts and prayers in your direction over the job problems. Hope you get them worked out soon.

As far as my weekend went... it was quiet and I got to spend a little time in the shop on a flat work project and play with my EZ system to get it tuned up and ready for an even larger flat work project in the planning stages.

I'll post the current project I am working on later this week after I get it finished. It is a nice little dove tail jig holder and cabinet for my PC4212. I got the inspiration from a nice fellow on a different forum and will give him proper credit when I post the pictures later.

Michael Gabbay
05-22-2006, 1:00 PM
I worked on my Dust Gorilla installation. Not a great deal of progress since I pulled my back last week. I did get the 220 line run and tested the motor. Everything looks good. Now I need to lift and mount the cyclone barrel, blower, and motor to the stand and cone. Hopefully I can do that this week.

Mike

Matt Meiser
05-22-2006, 1:03 PM
Spent the weekend working on the lathe with a break for lawn mowing yesterday. Almost had to get out the brush hog after 1-1/2 weeks of rain.

Scott Coffelt
05-22-2006, 2:03 PM
Got back from a work trip all week in Florida, only saw the sun from the inside :mad: . Saturday spent the whole day and evening helping with my newphews open house for graduation. Sunday worked outdoors all day trying to catch up. Travel again this week for work, hom ein time to head to a week in Hawaii, aww, looking forward to that after the 13 hour travel time. Hopefully I can chase one of them white round things around one of the courses there. Then some sight seeing, fun in the sun, etc.

Scott Fernald
05-22-2006, 2:39 PM
Assembled and installed my new natural gas grill on my deck - no more lugging LP gas tanks for me! It's a big stainless steel beast that I broke in right last night with a couple of choice ribeye steaks for the adults and some hot dogs for the kids...:D

Cut down a small oak that was standing dead and added it to the firewood pile...that's woodworking, right?

Other than that the weekend was consumed with Little League, Boy Scouts, and yard work...

John Miliunas
05-22-2006, 2:54 PM
Got this piece finished up for the LOML (late Mother's Day present :o ) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36779 and then felt bad that visiting daughter (in from Florida for a few days) didn't get one, so I made here one 'o these: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36846
Spent the rest of the weekend entertaining these two:39140
Hope everyone has a super week! :) :cool:

Scott D Johnson
05-22-2006, 3:23 PM
Finally got all 3 doors stained (2 of them are hung) for the base cabinet I made for our church. Still need to order the top and need the plumber to "approve" of our planned water/sewer run. Overall for my first cabinet project it turned out pretty good. (pictures to follow).

Dennis, you might want to look at this book regarding bending wood, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0941936546/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product/104-6968721-5602328?%5Fencoding=UTF8
by Lon Schleining . I got it from our local library and it seemed pretty good. Haven't tried it myself yet.

Tyler Howell
05-22-2006, 4:33 PM
Got this piece finished up for the LOML (late Mother's Day present :o ) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36779 and then felt bad that visiting daughter (in from Florida for a few days) didn't get one, so I made here one 'o these: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36846
Spent the rest of the weekend entertaining these two:39140
Hope everyone has a super week! :) :cool:

Yep John,
Just like Pesh and daughter...... She got all your good looks.
Her mom's still got hers':D :D

Bob Noles
05-22-2006, 5:42 PM
John.....

Now THAT is a pair of dolls :)

Oh... the bowls are nice also :D

John Miliunas
05-22-2006, 5:46 PM
Yep John,
Just like Pesh and daughter...... She got all your good looks.
Her mom's still got hers':D :D

Yeah, ain't that the truth?! :D Worst part is, I think she got my brains, too! :eek: Hmmmm...now which button do I push to get this thing to work? Oh yeah...There it is. "Submit"! :rolleyes: :cool:

John Miliunas
05-22-2006, 5:48 PM
John.....

Now THAT is a pair of dolls :)

Thanks Bob! A pair of rabble-rousers! The both of them!!! :eek: (Take after Mom that way...:D ) :cool:

Karl Laustrup
05-22-2006, 5:49 PM
As I mentioned in the "Weekend Doin's" thread I laid sod. Did 180 rolls Friday by myself. Got some help from a buddy on Saturday and finished up the other 200+ rolls by noon. Spent the rest of the day in bed and the rest of the weekend [and today] fighting a cold. The cold is winning.

Hopefully will feel better tomorrow as the weather is beautiful and I want to play golf.

Karl

Hank Knight
05-22-2006, 5:54 PM
I've been wrenching on this boat for about 6 years now and she's almost ready to go.:D :D .

You know the rules. No pictures, no boat! :D

Hank

John Miliunas
05-22-2006, 6:11 PM
You know the rules. No pictures, no boat! :D

Hank

Yeah, that and...
Did 180 rolls Friday by myself. Got some help from a buddy on Saturday and finished up the other 200+ rolls by noon.

What's up with that Mr. Fancy-Dancy Canon shooter??? :confused: :D :cool:

Wayne Gauthier
05-22-2006, 7:18 PM
Had to run a new electric line to my shop, the other was a 30 amp, had to put in a 50 amp circut, with #8/2with ground, plus a 50 amp breaker in my main house box. It was an underground job, with electrical pvc conduit. Took me about 4 hours to compleat, and that was digging a ditch 12" deep to bury it. I had to run about 80'. Not bad, except for my back. Had to sit for a while to get right,, but, all in all, it went well.

Fred Voorhees
05-22-2006, 7:20 PM
Busy weekend and I even got in some shop time.:D Friday night the order of business was to do some needed landscape work around the house and yard. I purchased some new hostas and needed to find them a home. Saturday was gruntin' a groanin' time helping Mr. Becker with a huge pile of ash trees that were taken down on his property - (I'm still feeling the effects on Monday night!). Saturday night after rushing home from Jims - it was a quick shower and about twenty minutes or so of resting before the wife and I took off for Bethlehem, PA to meet the parents of our sons fiance for dinner. The six of us had an enjoyable dinner and talk of upcoming nuptials. Sunday, though the arms felt like lead, it was out to cut grass on the newly tuned-up lawn tractor and to do some further planting. Then it was up to the shop for a few more hours worth of work on the on-going bar room shutter project. I have really hated dragging this project out, but it has been forced to be a back seat occupier in deference to other more important issues around the home here in Ringoes,NJ.:eek:

Don Baer
05-22-2006, 8:14 PM
Well I got a load or two of turning stock then I spent Sat morn cutting it to size and sealing it. I still have some more to cut up when I get ahold of a Chainsaw.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36711

Then I turned this little lamp.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36774

That was saturday. Sunday I loaded the truck and drove over to Queen Creek.

Corey Hallagan
05-22-2006, 9:24 PM
Spent Saturday working on a couple of pens. Sunday, I helped my son tear out his john boats and put new plywood decks and floors and got it ready to carpet this weekend. Looked good, better than it was and stronger!

Corey