PDA

View Full Version : Sam Maloof's turning friends

Charles Bruno
05-22-2006, 8:55 AM
The LOML must have wanted to get rid of me Saturday, she sent me to Sam Maloof's for the day (second time she's done this). Sam Maloof & the University of California, Riverside are running a yearly series of craftsman and artist demo's and lectures. This year it was all about the spinney thing. The two guest turners were Mike Jackofsky and Matt & Philip Moulthrop. Three great turners with completely different styles of turning. Mike turns FAST; he uses a 4 jaw chuck from Australia a Vick mark I believe he said. The Moulthrop's use a face plate and only 2 or 3 gouges and only one of them is a bowl gouge. I think it's time I set up the lathe my neighbor gave me.
Sam had just came home (via In and out ) from getting a pacemaker installed!

Mike Ramsey
05-22-2006, 9:01 AM
Wow! I envy you...Looks like the guy in the 3rd pic is using a Cue Stick!
Looks like you had a great time, I know I would have!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2006, 9:06 AM
Yup...........color me envious too! ........Andy's going to like those photos....some real.....lots of cholesterol mayo going there!

John Hart
05-22-2006, 9:17 AM
Wow...what a treat!! My wife just sends me to take out the garbage! :(

That must have been inspiring. What great work. :)

Doug Thompson
05-22-2006, 1:31 PM
Maloof's work (rocker) inspired me back in the early 80's... IMO the best woodworker ever. I'm glad he setup a school to teach.

PS - You lucky dog to have a wife like yours.

Jeff Horton
05-22-2006, 1:56 PM
The two guest turners were Mike Jackofsky and Matt & Philip Moulthrop.

Were they related to Ed Moulthrop that turned huge hollow forms? He lived in Atlanta I believe? His turning were 36" dia sometimes, all native woods too.

That looks like one of Ed's harpoons he used. ;)

John Miliunas
05-22-2006, 3:00 PM
Charles, now that is a treat and a half! I'm truly envious. :o Now, go and get that lathe put into working order and get to it!!! :D :cool:

Corey Hallagan
05-22-2006, 8:47 PM
Congrats, that looked like a great time!

Corey

Don Baer
05-22-2006, 8:50 PM
When I took the workshop with Sam last Nov. I remember sitting in the Kitchen of Sams new house and Sam was showing off several hollow forms that he had on the table that were turned by one of his friends. Although Sam doesn't do much turning he realy appreaches to art form.

Charles Bruno
05-26-2006, 1:30 AM
Were they related to Ed Moulthrop that turned huge hollow forms? He lived in Atlanta I believe? His turning were 36" dia sometimes, all native woods too.

That looks like one of Ed's harpoons he used. ;)

Yes, Matt and Phillip Moulthrop are the son and grandson of Ed, they were turnig with gouge's 5 foot long! Slow speed around 800 rpm.