PDA

View Full Version : Ceap "grip" clamps repair

Nissim Avrahami
05-22-2006, 8:46 AM
Good day

I bought those cheap grip clamps ($3 each). After some time I noticed that they are not “gripping” but sliding back. Another problem was, the handle pin housing breaking.

For the pin housing, I drilled hole and replaced the pin with screw washers and nut.

I solved the sliding problem by grinding the narrow sides with # 40 to make them rough.

It was such a good repair, that I made it on all my grip clamps, even the good ones.

Regards
niki

John Miliunas
05-22-2006, 9:11 AM
Sheeeesh, Niki! You're turning out to be our very own McGyver!!! :D I've got a few of those same clamps and, although I don't use them much, I think I'll do the same mods and grab them a bit more often. Thanks much!:) :cool:

Mike Goetzke
05-22-2006, 9:13 AM
I had a similar problem with one of the cheap clamps I got from HF. I repaired it by filing a sharp edge on the two metal plates you see in your first photo that ride on the bar. Be careful though after the fix it had soo much grip I broke the clamp.

Mike

Kyle Kraft
05-22-2006, 9:17 AM
Improvise, adapt, and overcome! The true spirit of the economical do-it-yourselfer. Great work Niki! I think we need to share more of the little things that we all do and take for granted, but may be useful to others.

Kyle in K'zoo

Nissim Avrahami
05-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Thank you so much for your replies

Mike
At the time, all the clamps are ok, if I shall have again some problem, your advise is “bookmarked”

Thanks
niki