PDA

View Full Version : Project completion

Lee Schierer
05-22-2006, 8:41 AM
Here's a project I actually finished a few weeks ago. It is a present for a wedding that was held Saturday. Although they haven't opened it yet, I feel it is safe to post it here because I doubt they will be watching the internet while on their honeymoon.

It is an Octagonal School House clock. It is similar to the one that Klockit sells as a kit, but I didn't care for their one piece octagon front. Instead I elected to make the octagon from separate pieces. It is hard to tell from the photo, but all the pieces run consecutively starting at 9:00 and going clockwise around the clock. The pieces are joined with splines for added strength. The challenge was to cut the two pieces at the 4 and 7 o'clock positions wider than the other six pieces and get them all exactly 22.5 degrees on the end and the same inside dimension. Clamping them up with the curved areas was also interesting.

The face, bezel, works and pendulum are from Klockit. They would not sell me the glass with the grid printed on it so I made my own. The box part against the wall is octagonal shaped on top and follows the contour on the bottom to house the works and speaker for the chime. The corners for the square areas of the box were all made with locking rabbet joints, again for strength. The box walls are 5/16 thick to keep the weight down. The speaker is mounted on the right side of the upper portion of the box. They also seemed to have made the tone from the speaker better. Access to change the batteries and make adjustments is through an open area in the back.

It is stained with Min Wax Golden Oak stain to match their furniture and the previous weather station I made for them. The finish is Deft semi-gloss clear wood finish.

Thanks for viewing,

Jim Becker
05-22-2006, 8:55 AM
Nice, job, Lee. I bet the recipients will love it!

BTW, those "honeymoon suites" are often very "well wired" these days...hee hee...

Charles McKinley
05-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Very nice work Lee as always.

I'm sure they will love the clock!

Mark Pruitt
05-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Hey, that is one nice clock! I know they will be proud to display it in their home.

Bruce Page
05-22-2006, 2:44 PM
Very nice Lee. Those miters look perfect!
It will make a great wedding gift.

John Buzzurro
05-22-2006, 5:12 PM
Nice looking clock, Lee. How did you do the grid on the glass?

John Miliunas
05-22-2006, 6:06 PM
Dang it...Just logged back on and I see that Bruce already stole my #1 comment about the miters! :mad: Seriously, great job on the miters, as well as the whole project. Happy, happy recipients to be had, I'm sure! :) :cool:

Ron Robinson
05-22-2006, 6:16 PM
Really nice job on the construction, but also on the wood selection. I like the grain pattern very much.

Ron Robinson

Lee Schierer
05-22-2006, 6:58 PM
Nice looking clock, Lee. How did you do the grid on the glass?

I tried a test piece of glass first. I found that if I cleaned the glass very well and covered it with wide strips of painters masking tape, then layed out the lines in pencil for the grid on the tape. I used a scalpel to slice the tape along the lines using a straight edge. Then I carefully removed the tape where I wanted the paint. Once all the tape was removed from the line area, I sprayed two coats of gold gloss enamel paint onto the glass. Then using the tip if the scalpel I removed the remaining tape. I was left with the gold grid on the glass.

You have to be really careful laying out and cutting the lines to get them exactly even. You also have to be sure the paint is completely dry before removing the tape. Any tape residue was cleaned off with windex type glass cleaner. It is very tedious work, but the glass is about 4" square so it wasn't bad to do. I tried to locate wire grid, but had to buy large quantities that I didn't need. It appears that the one from Klockit is sprayed or printed on as well.

Jerry Olexa
05-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Veery nice work...Looks good .They'll appreciate it after the honeymoon:)

Carl Eyman
05-24-2006, 1:00 PM
Your miters are great. Mine mighter might not be good.

Bob Childress
05-24-2006, 1:41 PM
Beautiful clock! What kind of setup are you using to cut such miters? :confused: (Pardon the newbie question, I guess the old hands already know.)

David Duke
05-24-2006, 3:03 PM
Nice work Lee, I know their gonna love it!!