PDA

View Full Version : New Rikon 10-340

David Beverly
05-22-2006, 8:04 AM
After a lot of research and reading of this forum I finally made the purchase of a brand new old style Rikon 10-340 bandsaw, thank you to everyone for sharing all the great information. And I want to publicly thank fellow creeker Syd Lorandeau for the information on where the saw was.
The store has one left if anyone is interested PM me.
The family and I went up to New Hampshire to pick it up Saturday, all went smooth then I got home. Getting it off the truck was quite an expierence. I would recommend having a few strong freinds if your planning to do this. With the help of my wife we uncrated the saw in the truck( her idea I'm real glad she was there ) placed the table and fence etc. aside and slid the saw to the end of the tailgate and into the bucket of my Kubota BX2300 then I strapped around the bucket and over the lower wheel cabinet and slooowly backed down around to the basement. This is a heavy saw! All went well but It was a little tense at times. Anyway the saw is home in it's final resting place. The saw is nicley made and in perfect condtion out of the crate. Pictures to follow.

Michael Adelong
05-22-2006, 8:39 AM
Congratulations David. I think you'll be very happy with it.

I spent a good bit of time going through all of the fine adjustments on mine yesterday afternoon. Got her running nice now. Let me know if you have any setup questions. I'm no bandsaw expert, but I know this one pretty well.

Be careful when buying blades. Rikon specifies 142" as the blade length. 142" is the absolute maximum length the saw will take. I'll had to return a 1" blade that was just over 142 1/2" long because I couldn't tension it properly. From what I understand, the folks that make blades will use a little more instead of less to get the tooth pattern correct. I have no idea what the minimum length is.

Michael

Jim Becker
05-22-2006, 8:53 AM
Nice....congrats on your new saw!

I've occasionally used my BX to move heavy tools, too. 'Hope you had some weight on the back of your BX2300...the bucket capacity is about 460 lbs, but with that much weight in it, the back end gets a "little light"! (BX22 owner; BX2200 previous to that)

David Beverly
05-22-2006, 9:41 AM
Thanks for the info on the blades Michael I was just about to order some at 142"! I still have to wire an outlet for the power so It'll be a day or so before I can start her up.
Jim I have a ballast box with 400Lbs. of sand in it and a few old brake rotors for good measure. I use that machine all year around, it sure was handy Saturday.

Dave

Jim Becker
05-22-2006, 9:49 AM
Jim I have a ballast box with 400Lbs. of sand in it and a few old brake rotors for good measure. I use that machine all year around, it sure was handy Saturday.

Excellent...and safe, too.