PDA

View Full Version : Arbor Project Done

Vaughn McMillan
05-22-2006, 4:39 AM
Finished this arbor last week, and put it to good use Saturday afternoon. Sorry the pic doesn't really show much of the woodworking, but LOML and my sis wanted to decorate it with fake ivy. The arbor isn't in its final location in our back yard, but for Saturday it was placed on the lawn along one of the planter beds. The arbor is all redwood, the sides are all mortise and tenon joinery, and the few screws used in the top are stainless steel. I had to re-cut a few of the pieces as the result of mistakes I made, but the final outcome was no mistake.

She's been my sweetheart for almost ten years, engaged to marry me for five, and it took us until now to work out the various house selling and buying and moving logistics to be able to do this in our own back yard in front of family and friends. I'm a very fortunate guy. :D

- Vaughn

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-22-2006, 5:30 AM
Vaughn, congratulations! Wow, I'd say you are a fortunate guy, she looks like one lovely lady!! ;) :D

Nice arbour as well.

Here is hoping you guys the best for the rest of your long, fruitful lives!

Cheers!

PS, this has to be one of "THE" stealth gloats I've ever seen!

Cheers!

Bill Lewis
05-22-2006, 5:55 AM
Wow Vaughn, Congratulations! But umm, what are you doing posting on SMC? should you be doing the honeymoon thing!??;) ;) ;)

Vaughn McMillan
05-22-2006, 6:25 AM
Wow Vaughn, Congratulations! But umm, what are you doing posting on SMC? should you be doing the honeymoon thing!??;) ;) ;)
Since we've already been living together for a bit over a year, we figured we'd take a honeymoon trip at a later date. As far as posting on SMC...poor girl needed some rest. :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

- Vaughn

05-22-2006, 6:46 AM
..................As far as posting on SMC...poor girl needed some rest. :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

- Vaughn

Me......... 10' pole.............that one................touch.................not a chance :D

Keith Starosta
05-22-2006, 8:26 AM
Me......... 10' pole.............that one................touch.................not a chance :D

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Well said, Stu!

Vaughn, that's awesome! Congrats to you and the new Mrs. McMillan.

- Keith

05-22-2006, 8:34 AM
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Well said, Stu!

Vaughn, that's awesome! Congrats to you and the new Mrs. McMillan.

- Keith

Thanks Keith.....................

..........hey, wait a minute................. Vaughn is a very "progressive" kind of guy....... maybe he took her name..... :eek: ;) :D

Cheers, the "Just Married" kind!!

Gary Herrmann
05-22-2006, 8:36 AM
Congrats Vaughn. Good job bringing the effort to completion.

Oh, and nice arbor too.

Frank Pellow
05-22-2006, 8:41 AM
Congratulations on both the arbor and your wedding Vaughn.

tod evans
05-22-2006, 8:43 AM
way to go vaughn! nice arbor too.....02 tod

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2006, 9:19 AM
Congrats Vaughn! Nice arbor too!

John Miliunas
05-22-2006, 9:27 AM
Vaughn, wonderful arbor. :) Please, pass on my condolences to the lovely lady in the picture and tell the guy he overpaid the barber!!! :eek: :D Seriously, a great BIG congrats to the both of you!!! :D I have to believe that each of you are very lucky and wish you many, many years of happiness! Carry on, my friend! :) :cool:

Jim Becker
05-22-2006, 9:34 AM
And this would be your round-about way of telling us the big news?? CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! (And the event greatly over-shaddows the very nicely executed arbor... ;) )

And John...I happen to like Vaughn's barber...same fellow/gal I go to!

05-22-2006, 9:42 AM
And this would be your round-about way of telling us the big news?? CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! (And the event greatly over-shaddows the very nicely executed arbor... ;) )

And John...I happen to like Vaughn's barber...same fellow/gal I go to!

Geez Jim, you and Vaughn don't know if your barber is a fellow or gal.........? :eek:

Dude, time for a hair cut ;) :D

Scott Donley
05-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Congrats to the both of you and many happy years ! Never heard of the vortex having this effect before, I better watch out :) And Jim, what's a barber ?:D :D

Don Baer
05-22-2006, 11:05 AM
Congrats to you Vaughn and a great looking arbor too.

Mark Pruitt
05-22-2006, 11:10 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Very happy for you both!

Ian Barley
05-22-2006, 12:41 PM
C'mon Vaughn. We need more detail than this. What timber did you use? Give us some details of the joinery that you used? This post just completely lacks the detail that we have the right to expect in a post of this sort. Oh - and congratulations.

Christopher Pine
05-22-2006, 1:48 PM
Congratulations.. she finally made an honest man of you huh? ;)
Wishing you many many years of happy woodowrking and marriage! Not necessarily in that order...

Best wishes!

Chris

Tyler Howell
05-22-2006, 2:15 PM
You Go Dawg
Rock on :cool:

Frank Chaffee
05-22-2006, 4:07 PM
Congratulations Vaughn,
You two look quite lovely together!

Glad that you got the arbor thing worked out. Seeing what its first use is, I understand why you were somewhat distracted and confused as to top and bottom.

Many wishes for your happiness,
Frank

Steve Ash
05-22-2006, 4:41 PM
Congratulations!!!! Wishing the best for you and the lovely lady.

This has to be the stelath gloat of the year :cool:

Lars Thomas
05-22-2006, 5:18 PM
Congrats Vaughn, congrats on the nuptials

Jerry Strojny
05-22-2006, 5:42 PM
That is fantastic dude!! (I seem to be a little slow on the responses, others used my little funnies.)

Stealth gloat of the year is right!;) I'm very happy for you and wish you both very well.

Don Bergren
05-22-2006, 8:09 PM
I've been looking forward to seeing pics of your arbor but this is so much more than I expected. Congratulations on your wedding! Although it's really nice, the arbor is secondary now. The bride wins this contest hands down. You really are a very fortunate guy.

I'm amazed that you actually dragged that arbor project out for five years.:D

Jim Becker
05-22-2006, 10:29 PM
And Jim, what's a barber ?

Exactly my point, Scott...I haven't been to one (or a "stylist" or "hairdresser" or "whatever") in about a dozen years. Of course, I'm not quite as swavay and deeboner as Vaughn. I have less on top and it's "more grayer", especially since November 22nd...

Dennis Peacock
05-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Many congrats to you and the wife Vaughn. I'm happy for the two of you and may you both be happy and prosperous for the many years ahead.

Vaughn McMillan
05-23-2006, 2:44 AM
Exactly my point, Scott...I haven't been to one (or a "stylist" or "hairdresser" or "whatever") in about a dozen years. Of course, I'm not quite as swavay and deeboner as Vaughn. I have less on top and it's "more grayer", especially since November 22nd... Same dog bit me, Jim...it's been about 12 years for me, too. (You and I have too many parallels in our lives, Jim. ;) ) The hair gets trimmed when needed by LOML or my sister, instead of paying money that could otherwise go towards tools. I wear it tied back like you most of the time at work and in the shop, but otherwise, I let it go pretty much where it wants (within limits).

And I dunno about the swavay and deboner comparison...I didn't know the correct spelling of Tarjhay until I learned it from you. I doubt a guy could be much more swavayer or debonerer than you, Mr. Becker. :)

Thanks all for the kind words and good wishes. We've had a great extended weekend with far-flung family and friends, and managed to have a relaxing time through it all. Neither of our moms are in good health, and we were fortunate to have them both (plus my dad) present at the ceremony. My two sisters and her brother were also there, and it's likely the last time for quite a while that we'll all be in the same place together. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...I'm a very fortunate guy.

- Vaughn

Norman Hitt
05-23-2006, 7:04 AM
Now them Kaleefornee woodworkers R sure strangfellers.:confused: Ah jes kant emagine a feller buildin' his own "Gallows".:rolleyes: :D

Seriously Vaughn, NICE job on the Arbor, but the Prize you Won there is OUTSTANDING. Congratulations to you both and Best wishes for much happiness in the years to come.

Ps: You sure did "Clean Up Nice" for this event. (Bet it was to impress THE Moms):D

Richard Wolf
05-23-2006, 7:47 AM
Congrads and best of luck!

Richard

Joe Mioux
05-23-2006, 8:39 AM
Vaughn, Congratulations on your wedding. Wishing you many happy years of bliss.

Joe

Ned Bulken
05-23-2006, 9:53 AM
Congrats!
The LOML and I are finally going to be tying the knot in just about a month and a half. We've been together for 6+ years this time around, plus a stint together way back in high school. Some things just take time to come to fruition.

Pete Harbin
05-23-2006, 1:20 PM
Congrats Vaughn!

Leave it to Vaughn to announce his wedding in a project post! Remember that April Fool's kitchen? :D Glad she's the real thing bud! You two look very happy together.

If you'd given us some warning we could have arranged for some NM green chile for the reception. PM me with your address and we'll see about hooking you up with the good stuff. :p

Pete

Eddie Watkins
05-23-2006, 1:58 PM
Congratulations and Good Job, Vaughn! Marriage is a wonderful institution, if you're ready to be commited to an institution:D ! LOML is also my barber. About 10 years ago I decided I was cheaper than I was vain so LOML started cutting it. I don't get laughed at in public anymore:rolleyes: so she must be getting better.

Eddie

Jay Knoll
05-23-2006, 2:01 PM
Congratulations on the nuptials, a lovely bride and a great arbor!

Jay

Bruce Page
05-23-2006, 2:52 PM
“And another one down, and another one down, another one bites the dust!” :D :D
Seriously Vaughan, congratulations to you and your lovely lady! Oh yeah, the arbor ain’t too shabby either!

Dan Oliphant
05-23-2006, 5:00 PM
CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND YOUR NEW WIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER (don't know where I've heard that before, but it sounded good:D )

Charlie Velasquez
05-24-2006, 6:56 AM
Congatulations! Beautiful wife AND she can double as your FREE shop helper!
See, there is always an upside to marriage!

Peter Stahl
05-24-2006, 7:01 AM
Congratulations Vaughn! Nice looking Arbor. You shouldn't have rushed into the marriage thing though, lol.

Tom Hamilton
05-24-2006, 7:11 AM
Congrats Vaughn, many years of happiness to you and yours.

Blessings, Tom

Andy Hoyt
05-24-2006, 9:42 AM
I think that it needs to be documented in this thread that Mr. McMillan acquired the new lathe before he got Mrs. McMillan.

Can't help but admire a guy who has his priorities straight.:D

And Vaughn - marriage licenses in California do NOT have expiration dates. DAMHIKT:eek:

Don Baer
05-24-2006, 11:35 AM
And Vaughn - marriage licenses in California do NOT have expiration dates. DAMHIKT:eek:

Actually they do. a few months back LOML discovered that we didn't have an offical copy of our marriage certificate only the copy from the church. I got the from from the county and we order 2 of them when they arrived she showed it to me and proclaimed that we were finaly legal. I looked at it and pointed out that there was an expiration date that was 60 days from the time we applied for it. Needless to say she didn't find it as funney as I did.