PDA

View Full Version : cedar bowl roughed out....

Barry Stratton
05-22-2006, 3:08 AM
Had a few minutes so roughed out another bowl. This one's cedar, about 5" wide, 3" tall, soaking in DNA at the moment. Trying to keep up with Stu - he sets a blistering pace.

Can't wait to try finishing a few. I think thats the toughest part when you first start out - waiting to dive into dry wood and FINISH something!

Frank Chaffee
05-22-2006, 4:13 AM
Barry,
That nice chunk of cedar you are turning is so beautiful I can smell it from here!
Frank

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-22-2006, 5:16 AM
Hey Barry, that looks like a really nice big bowl!!!...............

.....wait a minute, that then must be a HUGE chuck....... but you have the same chuck as I do............oh yeah, mini lathe :p

Man for a second there, I figured that was a big honking bowl, all perspective I guess:D

Sure does look nice, hope you are not allergic to it as lots of people are.

I bet it is really nice to turn as well.

SWEET!

Cheers!

Michael Stafford
05-22-2006, 6:18 AM
Great looking cedar bowl, Barry. After it dries be careful how you sand it as cedar is prone to heat checking. While sanding if your fingers get too hot the wood can develop cracks on you. Not because your fingers get hot but hot fingers can be an indicator that you are exerting too much pressure or spending too much time in one area. Keep the paper moving.

John Hart
05-22-2006, 8:02 AM
Nice looking Bowl Barry. Bet she'll be purty when you get it finished!

When I was out at the new property this weekend, the current owner had the woodshop filled with aromatic cedar that he was prepping for his new house....deck..moulding...trim..etc. The whole shop smelled like cedar. Smells just like Irish Spring soap!! He's going to leave me a bunch of cutoffs. :D

Steve Ash
05-22-2006, 8:27 AM
Can't wait to try finishing a few. I think thats the toughest part when you first start out - waiting to dive into dry wood and FINISH something!

I'll second that Barry...Nice going on the bowl.

Every once in a while I will get a customer who wants their home to have a cathedral ceiling with western red cedar tongue and groove panelling installed. I just love the smell but I need to be careful that I don't breathe in much of the sawdust...plugs me right up the next day.

Mike Ramsey
05-22-2006, 9:25 AM
Good job on the bowl Barry! Yep It wont take many of those Cedar
bowls before you get sick of the smell and a stuffy nose!

Frank Fusco
05-22-2006, 9:51 AM
I'll second that Barry...Nice going on the bowl.

Every once in a while I will get a customer who wants their home to have a cathedral ceiling with western red cedar tongue and groove panelling installed. I just love the smell but I need to be careful that I don't breathe in much of the sawdust...plugs me right up the next day.

I sell and work aromatic cedar. Also love the smell. But the dust can be a powerful irritant. If I don't wear my Dust Bee Gone mask, even a brief exposure to the dust will make me suffer for days with inflammed sinuses, mouth and throat. Caution is advised.

Bernie Weishapl
05-22-2006, 5:32 PM
Nice looking bowl Barry. Easy on the sanding as had been said before heat causes cracks. She'll be beautiful when finished.

Bob Noles
05-22-2006, 5:39 PM
Beautiful bowl Barry. I really like the form and cedar is one of my favorite woods both on and off the lathe.

Nice job and thanks for sharing the pictures.

Corey Hallagan
05-22-2006, 8:45 PM
That's cool Barry, beautiful color. Nice job!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
05-22-2006, 8:46 PM
Wow, I don't think I've seen any cedar so clear (without knots). Good looking bowl you have going there.

Ernie

Dick Parr
05-22-2006, 9:15 PM
Barry that bowl looks like all it needs is the finish applied and it is done. That is going to be a pretty bowl when your done. Waiting for the finish pictures.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-22-2006, 9:25 PM
Looks like that is gonna be a gooden, Barry.

Bruce

Barry Stratton
05-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks folks!

I've got high hopes for this one, it just "felt" right while roughing out. I'm sure I'll unwrap it in a month or two and it'll be cracked to all get out and shaped like an '"8".......:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Barry..........I hope you're wrong about that cedar bowl......but if it is warped, cracked.....etc........that's the bad side of the vortex! Good luck!