PDA

View Full Version : Faceplate screw hole repair question

Doug Thompson
05-22-2006, 2:26 AM
Once in a while I'll miscalulate the depth of a turning and run into the screws that hold the piece. Because the hat is almost done I'll finish it but end up with this, a very dull bowl gouge and a new work hat:D

My normal repair is to fill a problem area with sawdust then place a drop of sanding sealer on it, wait a couple minutes then sand. Do you have a better way to fill a hole?

Thanks,
Doug

Mike Ramsey
05-22-2006, 9:49 AM
Great lookin Hat! You could have left the holes open for venting
head heat!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Great looking hat, that is really cool!

How about some kind of decoration, a bead or pearl like thing, heck a little metal star in each hole, or a star a moon etc?

As the holes are in a consistent pattern....?

Cheers!

Reed Gray
05-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Considering the old saying about 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure', before you do anything beyond roughing out the outside, or starting the inside, hold one of the screws up by the faceplate and mark the depth the screws penetrate the wood. Take a parting tool, and make a mark that leaves 1/8 inch of wood on top of the screw points, and then do your finish work on the hat. I used to have the same problem with bowls before I got a chuck.
robo hippy

Dick Parr
05-22-2006, 9:58 PM
That is still a beautiful piece of work. I really love these hats you are making. Wonderful job.

Doug Thompson
05-23-2006, 1:28 AM
Thanks for your suggestions so I'll use them. My wife will draw stars and moons and I'll cut them out for vent holes. Hows that!

I really try to allow extra stock but one mistake leads to another... or in this case trying to correct a wavy top leads going deeper then expected.

I'll post the fix if it looks OK.
Thanks again,
Doug