PDA

View Full Version : I made a curved tool rest

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Just a pic or two....

Did not take that long, but the torch I have is a bit slow at warming stuff up

I put slightly different curves on each side, seems to work well.

Cheers!

Bernie Weishapl
05-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Hey Stu great job. Looks very functional.

Travis Stinson
05-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Looks great Stu.:cool:

Corey Hallagan
05-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Good job Stu! Jack of all trades!

Corey

05-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks guys.

Funny, the DVR will be here in a few days, so I don't know why I'm building tool rests for the C-man lathe:rolleyes:

I also rewired the switch to a more convenient spot, again....why am I doing this.... ?
:D

Frank Chaffee
05-22-2006, 2:37 AM
Funny, the DVR will be here in a few days, so I don't know why I'm building tool rests for the C-man lathe:rolleyes:
I also rewired the switch to a more convenient spot, again....why am I doing this.... ?
Stu,
How many ways can you arrange the letters “PASSIONATE LIFE”?

I highly doubt that any other arrangement of those letters could more aptly describe your methodology.

Frank

Doug Thompson
05-22-2006, 2:42 AM
You did well... looks strong and very well made. A rest that comforms to the shape of the piece makes turning easier. I see many more in your future. Good job on this one.

Barry Stratton
05-22-2006, 2:55 AM
...., so I don't know why I'm building tool rests for the C-man lathe:rolleyes:

Because you can??????

Great job Stu!

John Hart
05-22-2006, 7:23 AM
Thanks guys.

Because you're obsessed? ;)

05-22-2006, 7:39 AM
Thanks guys, I'd say all of those fit, but the number one is......

Cause I'm having fun!! :D

tod evans
05-22-2006, 8:10 AM
Thanks guys, I'd say all of those fit, but the number one is......

Cause I'm having fun!! :D

isn`t that the key to life, not just woodbutcherie? .02 tod

05-22-2006, 8:16 AM
isn`t that the key to life, not just woodbutcherie? .02 tod

You sir, are correct! :D

Mike Ramsey
05-22-2006, 9:29 AM
Great job Stu! I really need to make several sizes of those myself.
What type & size of metal did you use & did you build a bending
template?

05-22-2006, 9:39 AM
Great job Stu! I really need to make several sizes of those myself.
What type & size of metal did you use & did you build a bending
template?

Hi Mike, I just used some flat bar, it is about 1" wide and just over a 1/4" thick, I heated it up the best I could (portable torch and a Coleman stove) and then I pounded the heck out of it with a 2 1/2lb short handle sledge hammer on my anvil, which is a 8" long piece of railway track (heck they'd never miss just 8 inches...).

Worked well, but was a bit messy, noisy.

When I had it shaped the way I wanted it, I heated it up again to red hot, and then quenched it in a 5 gallon bucket of water. after that I heated it up until I saw the blue line of heat travel across the face of the piece, and then I laid it down on my welding plate, which is a 3/8" thick by 1 1/2' x 2' piece of steel plate, and let it cool. I'm using gas pipe for my posts, I just notched the post and then MIG welded it in place.

So far so good, but the DVR arrives in 3 or maybe 4 days....... so maybe I'm wasting my time :rolleyes:

Cheers!

John Hart
05-22-2006, 9:48 AM
.....and then I pounded the heck out of it with a 2 1/2lb short handle sledge hammer on my anvil, which is a 8" long piece of railway track (heck they'd never miss just 8 inches...)......

We used to put pennies on the railroad tracks for fun......You seem to be one of those thrill-seekers I keep reading about!!:D

Mike Ramsey
05-22-2006, 9:53 AM
Nah, I agree they wont miss 8" of track ;) .

Dick Parr
05-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Great job Stu, looks like it should get the job done.

Ernie Nyvall
05-22-2006, 10:17 PM
....why am I doing this.... ?

Uhhhhh, cause your a nut... like the rest of us.:D

Nice job though.

Ernie

Jeff Horton
05-22-2006, 11:09 PM
I had decided to try making one too. My thinking was very similar to yours only I don't have the welder going yet. Not sure if I remember how either! I was thinking of using a solid stock instead of pipe and just drilling and tapping it and using a cap screw to hold it in place.

After seeing yours I am thinking black iron pipe and just let a buddy of mine weld it. I can do the rest.... well if I ever get done with my other projects that is. ;)