PDA

View Full Version : It started out as a NE.....

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-21-2006, 10:49 PM
But did not make it... :(

I guess I had a minor catch, but it sure went pop in a hurry.

This bowl was half CA anyway, I roughed it out, too thin, then it moves a ton, leaving me next to no wood to work with, a learning experience I guess :o

I turned away the NE part, and made a little M&M bowl out of what was left.

Boy it was getting thin, I'd say it is mostly >3/32"

I'll admit it, this wood sucks, to work with, it moves, is hard and is not very user friendly, but I sure do like the look of it when something does come out the other end!! :D

05-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Just a couple more shots....

Some one asked for a profile shot of my other bowl, so I thought I'd give you one of this one.

The bottom of the bowl, I just about made another funnel here........

Yep, that is thin.... :eek:

Cheers!

Corey Hallagan
05-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Well Stu it is a pretty little bowl nevertheless! I think it looks great. It's not what you intended but a happy ending in my opinion anyway!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Live learn....recover.........go again! Nice bowls Stu! Nice figure in that wicked piece of wood!

Bernie Weishapl
05-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Nice looking bowl Stu. You are right the bottom is pretty thin. Always nice to recover and have some beautiful come out in the end. Nice job.

Frank Chaffee
05-22-2006, 12:19 AM
Fear not Stu Ablett of the changes your wood has chosen while being turned, as the light in the forest cut aspires to the light in the wood, and the light in wood as a bowl form beckons close appreciation, which is most accessible when one’s lips are brought to the bowls rim, in Oryoki fashion.

While the Natural Edge form most certainly has its place in the realm of vesselcature, the intimacy afforded in raising a bowl to one’s lips and taking nourishment there from is a primary and fundamental exchange.

Oh, one more thing Stu, lathe operators generally refer to 3/32” as “.09375”. Just FYI.
Frank

05-22-2006, 1:35 AM
...........Oh, one more thing Stu, lathe operators generally refer to 3/32” as “.09375”. Just FYI.
Frank

Frank, you BELONG in the spinny world :D

I usually call 3/32 about 1.5 mm ;)

Barry Stratton
05-22-2006, 2:34 AM
COOL! Great save Stu. Here you go again with that MacGyver improvise, adapt, overcome stuff again. Nice curved tool rest as well.

Frank Chaffee
05-22-2006, 3:00 AM
Stu,
Do you not mean "2.5mm"? rather than 1.5mm?
Frank

05-22-2006, 3:09 AM
Stu,
Do you not mean "2.5mm"? rather than 1.5mm?
Frank

Well the bottom is certainly under 2.5 mm or even 1.5, in spots, and the sides, well they are certainly under 2mm, so whatever that works out fractions of them old inches, is fine by me, seriously, I'm not sure, I guess I could look it up..?

Cheers!

Frank Chaffee
05-22-2006, 3:22 AM
Well Stu,
Near as I can tell from here, being on firm ground mind you, all’s fair in love and turning.;)
Frank

05-22-2006, 3:51 AM
Well Stu,
Near as I can tell from here, being on firm ground mind you, all’s fair in love and turning.;)
Frank

Love and Turning..........??

I just thought it was an Obsession....not Love ;) :D

Yep, Frank has it bad folks!! :D

Cheers!:)

Andy Hoyt
05-22-2006, 4:05 AM
You're both wrong. Any bodger worth his catch will tell you that all measurements are given in snoodges.

Of course, you may ask: "how much is a snoodge"? Unfortunately, it is not a finite quantity.

In common parlance a snoodge can only be determined when referencing the amount of structurally sound wood remaining in a given workpiece at a very specific point in time. That point in time occurs a moment or two after the rationalization is made that one can take just one more teeny tiny finessing cut; and a moment or two prior to achieveing funnelization.

Thusly, a snoodge is described as the thickness of material removed between these two points in the wood-time continuum.

Frank Chaffee
05-22-2006, 4:27 AM
Ahhh,
Thank you Andy for defining the moment of clarity so aptly.

BTW, did you write songs for Jim Morrison?

Frank

Andy Hoyt
05-22-2006, 4:36 AM
Nope. The Chambers Brothers.

Mike Ramsey
05-22-2006, 9:43 AM
Good save Stu! Had one similar last week...wish I hadn't snoodged it
so much!