PDA

View Full Version : Paver edging for planting beds

Tom Peterson
05-21-2006, 9:37 PM
After a decade of always re-cutting the edges on the planting beds around the house, we are going to use concrete pavers. Given that the grass always tries to grow through we are looking at setting them in a 4 inch thick concrete base. Thought is to excavate a trench to the proper depth, fill with concrete, strike it smooth, and then lay the stone on top. Sounds too simple so I am asking what I might be overlooking. Will the paver bond well to the concrete. The alternative is to fill the trench and then use motar to hold the bricks. thanks in advance

Craig Coney
05-21-2006, 11:20 PM
I did one about 7 years ago, dug my trench, pulled a string, then mixed up quickcrete , poured it in the trench, and set my bricks to the string line. Then you can come back with a mortar bag and fill the gaps in the brick with mortar. Just don't get too far ahead of yourself setting bricks in the concrete, as it may set up on you.

Ralph Barhorst
05-22-2006, 5:08 PM
Tom,

I had the same problem a couple of years ago and resolved it by having an edge installed. The company that did this used a sod cutter to remove a 12" wide strip of sod around the area. Then they dug a small trench and laid in the colored cement that was 7" wide and about 4" high. They used a form to produce the faux brick look and some black powder was placed between the "bricks" to look like morter. They let it set up and then returned the next day and added a sealer. As I recall, it cost around $0.75 per linear foot.

Lopaka Garcia
05-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Not only will it work, but it will look great. There are so many types of pavers out there now, you have a veritable smorgasbord of choices. :D

Matt Meiser
05-22-2006, 10:16 PM
veritable smorgasbord of choices. :D

(Homer Simpson voice) Mmmmm Pavers......

Matt Meiser
05-22-2006, 10:19 PM
As I recall, it cost around $0.75 per linear foot.

That sounds extremely cheap. I figure our house (a good sized ranch) would need maybe 250 feet--only $190.

Randy Meijer
05-23-2006, 3:13 AM
.....we are looking at setting them in a 4 inch thick concrete base......

I'm not an expert in this field; but I would be worried about frost heaving damage. I suspect you need to have base that goes deeper than 4"??