PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blade ? again :-(

Rob Littleton
05-21-2006, 9:33 PM
So, if I am gonna order some new blades for my MM16 (obviously I am gonna order the soft spongy ones that dont brake bones).........I looked on Suffolk Machinery web site and was blown away by the choices. I only wanna cut wood .......................

I wanna be able to resaw logs for pen blanks and also make green trunks into ready to turn blanks, although Iwill mostly rip them down for pen blanks. These trunks mostly will be green or BIG.........

I was looking at the AS-S blades. According to the write up, most woodturners use these. I hope this is the right choice.

Anyone ordered for their MM16. I dont see the option for the length required. The bandsaw says to use between 151 and 154 inch. What is a good choice length for this saw?

So, I was thinking the AS-S 3/4 , 1/2 , and the 1/4 PC,PK,HP (whatever that means).......

cheers and out................

Mark Rios
05-21-2006, 9:48 PM
Rob, Call Suffolk. Tell them what you have and what you want to do with your saw. Let them tell you what you need. Give them your credit card number and wait for the blades to arrive. They will keep your info on file to make further purchases very easy. They make it very easy and they are very good at taking care of their customers.

P.S. you may want to order an extra blade of each so you aren't ever with out one that you want/need.

Congrats on the saw.

edit: They will make any blade length you need as well.

Charlie Plesums
05-21-2006, 9:55 PM
Suffolk machinery has great service and prices... and a lousy web site. Tell the person who answers the phone what you want to do, and they give great advice.

For example, wet wood needs a wider kerf than dry wood. Thick wood needs fewer teeth than thin wood. Softer wood is different than hard. The phone operators understand the options better than we do.

Pick a length in the middle of the suggested range. My MM says 176+ to 180+ so I use 178 inch.

Jim Becker
05-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Yea, Suffolk is one of those places that you really, really want to call on the phone. The web site is fine for getting their phone number...and that is about it. (Although there is some good reference material here and there on it) Talk to them. Tell them what you want to do. Make sure they know which "resaw height vintage" MM16 you have (for sizing the blades). And the next time you call them to reorder...they will know exactly what you bought before, too.

Dave Falkenstein
05-21-2006, 11:04 PM
I don't know about the rest of these folks, but I would call Suffolk and get their advice. Smile.

lou sansone
05-22-2006, 5:42 AM
like others have said, call..... but I like the AS-S 3/4 and have used it many times.

lou

fred woltersdorf
05-22-2006, 6:37 AM
i've never used suffolk blades,but they seem very popular.i have a mm16 about 3 yrs old and i'm using the woodslicer blades from highland hardware.i'm very satisfied with the cut and the price is right.i believe the length is 149", but i think the newer machines require longer ones.

Bill Stoffels
05-22-2006, 6:49 AM
I have a new MM16 with the 16 resaw capacity, this one takes 154" blades .
I called Suffolk. told them what I wanted to do and that was it. the blades are here and are perfect.

tod evans
05-22-2006, 8:15 AM
rob, call `em up they don`t bite....02 tod

Jim Becker
05-22-2006, 8:35 AM
Lou mentions something important. The AS blades are specifically designed for "wet work"...they are thicker and work very well for cutting turning stock or ripping down wet wood to dry for pen/spindle blanks. They are fine for general cutting (I actually leave one on my MM16 most of the time) but will give a thicker kerf and a surface that isn't quite smooth. It's also a good idea to use a different blade for re-sawing than curve work for best cut quality...curves will modify the set of the teeth, especially when they are tighter...)