PDA

View Full Version : Portable air conditioner?

Perry Holbrook
05-21-2006, 9:03 PM
We need to replace an old window AC unit for the up coming season. I saw a portable unit on wheels at the local borg and thought it may be an option. Anybody here got any hands on experience with these types of units?

Thanks, Perry

Joe Pelonio
05-22-2006, 9:26 AM
A friend/neighbor has one and they are very happy with it. They keep it in the family room and got it because their windows make it just about impossible to install the regular ones. It cost just a bit more and the
exhaust hose is not exactly going to help your decor, but you have the added advantage of moving it to a different room easily, they often move
it to the bedroom at night on really hot days. Theirs has a timer so you can set it to go on in xx hours, and also make it go off after xx hours. That saves electricity since we usually cool off pretty well at night.

Don Abele
05-22-2006, 9:00 PM
We use many of these for spot cooling at work. Size for size, they really don't cool as well as a window unit of similar size. They are louder, as everything is inside the room with you. There is, also, the exhaust factor. It's a dryer vent type hose that you need to vent to outside. We use standard dryer vents through the wall or fashioned with an insert for the windows. We have lines attached to ours that run into catch containers for the condensate. All of the ones we have a 120v, but they do make 240v versions (that throw out a lot more chill).

Be well,

Doc

Mike Cutler
05-22-2006, 11:40 PM
We've been using a Pinquino 360 for three years, and it has worked very well for us.
I've read some of the reviews on epinion and the Pinquino's still seem to get favorable reviews. Apparently though, one of the models is plastic, ours is not, and the plastic models have been cracked in shipping, causing them to leak water.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-23-2006, 10:15 AM
If you run really fast the breeze will cool you just fine.

I just don't know about you kids these days!!!