PDA

View Full Version : Little shop of errors (pic. tour)

Brett Baldwin
05-21-2006, 7:48 PM
Since I've seen a few posts lately about small shop designs, I thought I'd post my setup as it is currently. The shop (former carport) is 11 ft. by 19 ft. not including some storage spaces at the back. It was just recently rearranged due the the acquisition of several new pieces of equipment. To keep the post readable, I'll skip most of the errors encountered in coming up with this arrangement and just say that there were many to this point and some are even pictured and I'm sure more to come but they are teaching me lessons along the way.

The first shot is facing north from the door into the house. Table saw toward the middle with the workbench behind doubling as an outfeed. I built the workbench before I had this idea so I'm going to have to modify the top in width and height to have it work properly. Easily done (though I haven't yet) as this is designed to be knocked down. My drillpress and CMS are on the back wall under my lumber rack with my more exotic stuff.
The second shot is from the north wall toward the southeast corner. My new jointer (mobile) is on this wall and has done an excellent job despite my lack of experience. I just enclosed that space behind the door to become my lumber storage area. I still need to build some shelves but for now, my modest hardwood supply sits vertically on a Formica topped sheet (to prevent moisture wicking from the concrete and providing a slick surface for sheet goods). Sheet goods slide in on the right side. BTW, the glue-up on the tablesaw is the top for a chest-of-drawers I've started.
The third shot is from the north wall again toward the southwest corner. My new bandsaw and planer (both mobile as well) sit here when not used and both have worked well so far. Underneath the window I put a roof gable fan to act as an exhaust fan. It works fairly well but I need to build an intake opening which I just picked up the filter for today. This 100+ degree heat puts a damper on working in the shop without some airflow. I'll see if anyone can pick up the discrepancy in this picture from the first one.:D The dark room at the back is a storage/utility room.
Since this is a small shop, that really pretty much covers it. I have a closer shot of my exotics (a few bf each of bloodwood, purpleheart, shedua, wenge, Honduran rosewood, cocobola, lacewood, bubinga) as well as a little surprise gloat (I forgot I ordered them) that arrived yesterday.
As most of you know, a shop is always a work in progress and I have many little things I need to do but for now, it is workable and working. Thanks for looking.

Brett

Per Swenson
05-21-2006, 8:01 PM
Brett,

Let me be the first to welcome you.

Good use of limited space.

Per

lou sansone
05-21-2006, 8:35 PM
nice shop... about the size of my first shop. I made many pieces in that space. best wishes
lou

Frank Chaffee
05-21-2006, 9:00 PM
Hey Brett,
Nice use of whalers in that glue-up!
Frank

Ellen Benkin
05-21-2006, 9:10 PM
See if you can find an old, used, but functional air conditioner to stick in the wall. We had a couple replaced in the house and the guys who did the installation were delighted to take the old ones because they could sell them to people to put in garages. They worked well, but were incredibly noisy.

Allen Bookout
05-21-2006, 11:25 PM
Brett,

What a great shop. You did reallly great with the space that you have. Makes me want to do better but I have a hard time being a good organizer. Seems like stuff is just pushed here and there and then pushed back again.

I am with you on the heat. I like to work when it is nice and cool from about 8:00 pm until about 2:00 am but my uncareing neighbors seem to not like the noise that time of night. What is wrong with them?

Very good presentation, by the way. It is always nice to see someone elses set up.

Allen

Bob Noles
05-22-2006, 8:43 AM
Brett,

Nice job on the arrangement and it looks like you have things well under control. You talk of errors.... ha! I am the master of errors and have paid dearly during the learning process, but about got it together now just as you.

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your shop. I think it is looking great and hope you will share more as time goes. I love seeing other peoples shops as it provides new ideas for me as well as inspiration. :)