PDA

View Full Version : Any WAA Members here?

Jim Ketron
05-21-2006, 6:36 PM
Yes I admit I'm a Wood-Aholic :o
I find nice wood and I just can't say no!
I just don't know when to say when! :o

Here is my pile of Ambrosia Maple this pile is from 2 nice size trees.
Now comes the fun part cutting blanks and sealing them up.
I should have some nice blanks the last tree I cut had some nice curl in the trunk of the tree.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/AM.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/AM2.jpg

Joe Tonich
05-21-2006, 6:55 PM
Hey...I'M not a member...but I know someone who is.....

According to the 12 step program, the 1st step is to send some of your stash to me. ;)

Really....

I'm not kiddin.....

look it up.

Travis Stinson
05-21-2006, 7:14 PM
Guilty!:o
Man, that's quite a haul there Jim!:D

Michael Stafford
05-21-2006, 8:07 PM
I founded the organization and have relapsed so many times all the wood companies have my credit card number on file.... I buy wood even though I no longer have room to stand in my shop. Please don't send me any more wood....I just want to OD and be done with it.....:o

Gil Jones
05-21-2006, 8:15 PM
Hi Jim,
Yup, I am an AAW member, what is a WAA.
Have fun with the chunks, looks like enough to keep you busy for a while.

Terry Quiram
05-21-2006, 8:40 PM
Nice haul Jim. To bad you don't have a 55 gal barrel of Anchorseal then you could dip them.

Terry

Frank Chaffee
05-21-2006, 9:05 PM
....I just want to OD and be done with it.....:o
Michael,
I can only assume that “OD” refers to “outside diameter” here.
Frank

Michael Stafford
05-21-2006, 9:07 PM
Frank, I am a bona fide wood junkie. I love wood and buy wood, collect wood, and stash wood beyond all reasonable lifetime use expectancy. But I cannot help myself. I have to keep turning just to be able to get in the shop....:p :o

Raymond Overman
05-21-2006, 9:10 PM
While not a professional WAA member Jim, I think you'd qualify as a top seated amateur. An enthusiast at the very least. Nice looking haul there.

I on the other hand, have a stash in every corner and a few pieces that are hidden "just in case" if you know what I mean. The first step to getting better is to want to get better. Personally, I'm not ready to take the first step. I don't see an intervention in my future either.

Tony Sizemore
05-21-2006, 9:20 PM
I gave a truck load away today. I had it for so long, and didn't have time to get to it the is had started checking and cracking. As I say that I'm thinking dam I wish was cloaser... I'd help you with some of that pile! LOL
Yep I have a problem :-(

Andy Hoyt
05-21-2006, 9:53 PM
Hey all you WAAers.

Go check in with the Cleveland Lacquer Lab - they're running a special.

Jim Ketron
05-21-2006, 10:46 PM
No Lacquer here Andy!
Got any Anchorseal?

Brad Hart
05-22-2006, 6:58 AM
by the looks of it that came from a silver maple and whether or not you seal the ends you should get a few pallets to stack it on. If you don't some of it will go punky pretty quickly and you will loose a lot of the intensity of the ambrosia and end up with an ugly grey blue stain.

Mike Ramsey
05-22-2006, 9:37 AM
I just sealed up 4 huge chunks of Pecan, I can imagine the work
you're in for! Nice Big Gloat Jim!

Jim Ketron
05-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Brad, I have been at this turning stuff for a while and have worked a lot of blanks and sold a bunch also, especially Silver maple. This pile will be worked down to bowl and HF blanks within the next week and setting in my shop for my use and also selling! so it will be fine where it's at for now:rolleyes:

Scott Fernald
05-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Yes Jim - I'm a WAA'er and I don't even have my lathe yet!

Just my luck - I bet the Weber City you are in is the one that is 400 miles from me, not the 100 mile away one...

Not that I need any more wood piled in the garage!

Keith Burns
05-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Well Jim, that sure is a nice haul !! I didn't think there was any timber left in Va though. :eek: Did you have to go to Tennessee to cut it ?:D :rolleyes:

Dick Parr
05-22-2006, 9:39 PM
Great looking haul Jim, let me know when you are ready to start selling some.:D

I am almost out of turning stock.:eek: :rolleyes: :p