PDA

View Full Version : B/E frame part 2

Steve Ash
05-21-2006, 5:17 PM
I posted this thread the other day about my friend Bruce and the birdseye maple he gave me to make something he could "look at"

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36691

He arrived here today as expected. After a few hugs, handshakes and story telling I asked him if he remembered the birdseye maple he gave me and what he asked me to do. He said yep. so I told him I made him a Chevy bowtie mirror....he wasn't at all thrilled but said " Can I see it?" so when I took out this picture frame with his dad and son he was more than thrilled. I could see he was geting choked up about it especially after losing his father whom he was especially close to last fall.

When he was finally able to compose himself for a picture I shot a few and as requested am posting one for you all to see.

Like I said on the other post, the frame is pretty basic but after today giving my best friend this gift....it may be one of the best things I have ever been able to make in my shop.

Norman Hitt
05-21-2006, 8:40 PM
VERY Nice, Steve, not only the beautiful BE Frame, and the way it is really set off by the matting and picture itself, but the Whole thought process that put this project together. Sounds like you couldn't have made a better choice for a Thank You project for your friend..

Jim Becker
05-21-2006, 9:10 PM
Most excellent gift...and craftsmanship. You see, a frame like that isn't supposed to be "the" attraction. The frame's job is to provide a setting that brings out the best in what it contains. And in this case, the connection really is there...the wood and the good memories it holds.

john whittaker
05-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Steve, thanks for the update. A most excellent gift. That is some awesome wood and the thought behind the gift is very touching. Well done.

John Miliunas
05-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Gee Steve, he doesn't look happy at, does he??? :rolleyes: Yeah...Right! I'd be willing to bet he's still looking at it affectionately, not only for the memories but, thinking about what a lucky guy he is for having a best bud like you! :) Way to go, my friend!!! :) :cool:

Bill Sampson
05-21-2006, 10:12 PM
Steve,

What an excellent gift for your friend! I agree with Jim that the frame should not be the main point here, but highlight the message of the picture. It does!
Mats and frames should always allow the picture or painting to be the focal point and speak to the viewer, and it this instance, you "nailed it". Your friend Bruce will treasure this gift forever, and he will enjoy telling all who see it about the special person who made and gave it to him.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

lou sansone
05-22-2006, 5:47 AM
Great story. That was a nice gesture on your part. I was a U.S. navy diver for many years and I know what it is to have a "buddy"...

lou