PDA

View Full Version : Paste wax for tool surfaces?

glenn bradley
05-21-2006, 1:44 PM
I read that a lot of you use paste wax to keep tool tables and fences slick. Is there and problem with regular old Johnson's paste wax? The reason for the question is that is contains petroleum products and I worry about lingering effects on glue ups and finishes for wood run across the wax. I've been using parafin here and there and while slick it can have a bit of 'grab' on certain surfaces.

tod evans
05-21-2006, 1:49 PM
glenn, johnstons, minwax, old fuller brush they all work great. much better than parafin...02 tod

Sam Chambers
05-21-2006, 2:36 PM
Glen, I'm a big fan or Renaissance wax for tool surfaces, but I've used Johnson's with good results. Renaissance lasts longer, though.

Mark Pruitt
05-21-2006, 2:57 PM
Ditto the Rennaissance Wax. Very good stuff. Expensive but worth it.

Brian Hale
05-21-2006, 3:53 PM
Ditto the Rennaissance Wax. Very good stuff. Expensive but worth it.

Ditto the ditto.... ;)

Brian :)

John Miliunas
05-21-2006, 4:32 PM
Ditto the ditto.... ;)

Brian :)

Ditto X3!!!! :D Expensive, yes BUT, it really lasts a long time and goes a long way! :) :cool:

Albert Wagner
05-21-2006, 4:48 PM
Johnson's contains solvent, paraffin, and cournoba wax. The solvent is what evaporates and smells so nice. It's all gone in minutes after application. That's why you don't leave the lid off of the can. Cournoba wax is just about the hardest natural wax there is. Mixing it with paraffin is a compromise to usability.

Alan Turner
05-21-2006, 5:07 PM
For me, for tools, any old paste wax will do fine. I generally donate the remnants of my wax supply to the tool maint. division (which is also me, of course).

Bob Childress
05-21-2006, 5:35 PM
IMHO Johnson Paste Wax rocks. :D Last week I applied some to my TS and the next piece of wood slid right off. Of course, I may have a leveling problem.:confused:

Anyway, rub that wax every chance you get.

Frank Pellow
05-21-2006, 5:42 PM
I use Johnson's Paste Wax -and I works great!

Corey Hallagan
05-21-2006, 7:32 PM
Some prefer Johsons's , some prefer Minwax. I have both and grab what ever is closer!

Corey

Russ Massery
05-21-2006, 8:11 PM
I just use Johnson's. No problems with finishing or glueing. And It's CHEAP.............

Todd Davidson
05-21-2006, 8:17 PM
I use Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax.

Lee Schierer
05-21-2006, 8:32 PM
As others have said the solvents in paste waxes evaporate pretty quickly. I've been using Johnsons for over 30 years with no problems. A single can lasts for ever. I think I'm on my second can since I moved here 30 years ago.
:D

Howard Acheson
05-21-2006, 9:08 PM
While any non-silicone furniture paste wax will work to make a machine tabletop more slippery, none will provide much moisture or water protection. If you want protective qualities, tests by Wood Magazine found that the only product that lasted more than one day in their tests was Boeshield T9. All other surface protectors and paste waxes failed within 24 hours.

Seth Poorman
05-21-2006, 9:21 PM
Johnsons on the jointer , boards just glide across the beds. :D

glenn bradley
05-21-2006, 11:17 PM
As usual, the members of this forum came through. My thanks to you all. I hope any small contributions I may have made have helped someone as much.

Thanks again SMCreekers!

lou sansone
05-22-2006, 5:39 AM
gee

what happened to slip-it?

I also like minwax

lou

Chet Parks
05-22-2006, 8:09 AM
The best wax I have found is "BUTCHER"S Bowling Ally" past wax. You can get it at any hardware store. It's 100% carnuba wax and doesn't have the addatives you find in car wax.

Chet18013s

tod evans
05-22-2006, 8:30 AM
While any non-silicone furniture paste wax will work to make a machine tabletop more slippery, none will provide much moisture or water protection. If you want protective qualities, tests by Wood Magazine found that the only product that lasted more than one day in their tests was Boeshield T9. All other surface protectors and paste waxes failed within 24 hours.

howie, if the wax i use (any of the brands listed) failed, i haven`t noticed? the boards still slide and the cast iron hasn`t rusted in the 60-95% humidity here in the sticks.....02 tod

Frank Fusco
05-22-2006, 9:40 AM
My shop is a very high-humidity environment (walk-out basement with the pressure tank and other plumbing, sweats in summer). I use Johnsons paste wax on the exposed surfaces (table saw, lathe bed, etc.) about once a year. If I don't rust will form quickly. The Johnsons does a good job.

Tom Jones III
05-22-2006, 9:57 AM
I use Johnsons, but I never realized that people used it to make the surface slick. I thought the only reason to use it was for rust protection. Living here in south Houston you can actually watch the tools rust. Paste wax is the only thing that works longer than a day or two.

Tom Hintz
05-22-2006, 10:24 AM
I also use Johnson's Paste Wax on all my tools both for making them slippery and to protect against the Carolina humidity. Top Saver from Empire works for protecting from rust but the Johnson's does a great job at keeping them slick and rust free.

John Schoenauer
05-22-2006, 1:12 PM
I have some rust on my drill press cast table. Can anyone suggest how to remove it before I wax the surface.
Thanks John Schoenauer

tod evans
05-22-2006, 1:16 PM
I have some rust on my drill press cast table. Can anyone suggest how to remove it before I wax the surface.
Thanks John Schoenauer

sander/scotchbrite, depending on how deap it is..02 tod

Bob Swenson
05-22-2006, 3:45 PM
They tell me that anybody who is anybody uses Renaissance Micro-Crystalline wax so if you want to be an anybody and not a nobody you should join the rest of the anybodies in slicking up your tools with this great Wax. I did.;)