PDA

View Full Version : Hand Saw Handles

Randall Houghton
05-21-2006, 12:41 PM
I need advise on how to loosen the nuts and bolts that mount the handle on my handsaw. They appear to be frozen and just spin when I try to loosen them. Are replacement nuts and bolts available? Thanks for your help.
Randy

Mike Wenzloff
05-21-2006, 1:18 PM
Hi Randall,

You can use a small scrap of wood on the head side which spans a bolt head and clamp if firmly to the handle. This may keep the bolt head from spinning.

Hard rubber placed on the bench and pressing the handle firmly against it and turning the nut often works for me.

Supergluing a hex nut to the head can work.

Usually what happens is over time the wood shrinks, users continuially tighten the nut and eventually it bottoms out inside the nut and jams. So once it gets broke loose, you will need to file or grind a little of the bolt off to reuse the bolts/nuts.

Ace Hardware has plated ones, though not brass. A garage sale saw that is otherwise useless can be a source for good brass ones.

A company in Germany sells new brass ones--but they are spendy.

Take care, Mike

harry strasil
05-21-2006, 2:12 PM
A lot of times placing the head of the bolt on something solid and then using a dowel and a small hammer to rap on the nut a couple of times, will loosen the thread just enough to let it come loose, if it goes a ways and then siezes up again, repeat the rapping procedure. do it gently tho LOL

Randall Houghton
05-22-2006, 6:58 PM
Thanks Mike and Harry for your advise. I finally got them loose after I clamped a board tight to the handle and held a dowel again the head of the screw and gave a good rap. It appeared the threads had been coated with ble locktite. Still looking for new brass nuts and screws. Thanks again for the help.

Randy

Kevin French
05-22-2006, 7:45 PM
I've got four brass ones left, you want'm? I don't have a brass medallian for them.

Send me a PM