PDA

View Full Version : Splitter w/Brett Guard

Mike Hill
05-21-2006, 9:29 AM
I am in the process of setting up my new Grizzly 1023SLW table saw with a Brett Guard. Using the guard, the Grizzly splitter will not work. So, I am epoxying 2 drill bits directly in line with my Wood Woorker II blade in a zero clearance insert. My question is: Should I use 1/8 inch drill stocks or 7/64's (slightly undersized)? If any of you have a better idea for a splitter, I am open to suggestions. Just trying to get this right the first time.

Will post pictures if this works OK. The Brett Guard I am using has the large C-Arm that attaches to the rear rail of the saw.

Thanks for any help.
Mike

Jamie Buxton
05-21-2006, 10:17 AM
I use 1/8" drill rod for the splitter. The width of most standard-kerf blade is .125", but due to arbor run-out or something, the kerf is a few thousandths wider.

Ben Grunow
05-21-2006, 9:03 PM
I would be more comfortable with a threaded piece of steel rod with a locking nut above and below the insert. The thought of a board kicking back (VERY unlikely with the bit there but say you- or someone else- pulls a board back an inch or so or the bit comes loose when lifting a board off the spinning blade) and pulling that bit into the blade is too scary for me. It seems IMHO that a splitter should be attached to the saw not the insert. Paranoia.