PDA

View Full Version : Too many GREAT boxes....

Barry Stratton
05-21-2006, 1:41 AM
So I thought I'd try my hand at one and post a terrible one!:D

My first, meager attempt turned out of green ash, about 3" wide and 5 " tall. As it is practice, I didn't sand thru the grits. Started w/80 and ended with 150. The rag had wax on it so I put some on.

1) These are FUN!
2) Getting the top to fit "just right" is an acquired skill
3) Make them THINNER
3) Green ash dries and starts going "egg" on you while spinning.....
4) Take LIGHT cuts when the top is fitted to the bottom.
5) I WANT TO DO MORE!!!
6) Big Mike is my hero.
7) The next one will be better........

Also did this while having a garage sale.

Frank Chaffee
05-21-2006, 2:07 AM
So I thought I'd try my hand at one and post a terrible one!:D
Best that you try again then Barry, if that is your intention.

1) These are FUN!
2) Getting the top to fit "just right" is an acquired skill
3) Make them THINNER
3) Green ash dries and starts going "egg" on you while spinning.....
4) Take LIGHT cuts when the top is fitted to the bottom.
Could perhaps the egging effect be utilized for screwing the lid onto the bottom?

5) I WANT TO DO MORE!!!6) Big Mike is my hero.
7) The next one will be better........
I have no doubt as to that expectation either!

Frank

Gary DeWitt
05-21-2006, 2:54 AM
Great first box, Barry. Was that ash wet or damp when you started turning? If so, try this. Turn your cylinder, turn your two tennons, part the lid and bottom, hollow out the inside, but leave about a 16th extra wood inside and out, and don't start fitting the lid. Then dry the wood by your preferred method, in a bag waiting for a month or so, microwave, boil, alcohol, whatever it takes to get it completely dry. Then re-chuck and finish the box. Sounds like a lot of extra work, but not really, just the time it takes to chuck the wood again. I did this with some green wood with a tight fitting lid, and it's still perfectly round.

Doug Thompson
05-21-2006, 3:32 AM
Nice job and it's only the first. You done good.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-21-2006, 4:40 AM
Well Barry, you beat me to it, :D

I've yet to do one, but I will.

Cheers!

Michael Stafford
05-21-2006, 6:16 AM
Barry, a good start. Green wood can be disappointing so listen to what Gary had to say and do the rough turning and then dry the wood. You will get more satisfying results with dry wood and will find both the fitting of the lid and the final fit of the lid to be better. Keep 'em coming. The world needs more boxes!:D

John Hart
05-21-2006, 8:15 AM
Way to go Barry!!! I wish I had the time to finish up one of the boxes that I owe you. Might be a while now. You're motivating me though!!:)

Bernie Weishapl
05-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Barry box looks great. You did a nice job on it. If that is your worst box I am going to hate to see your best. Listen to what Gary said. When I turn green wood boxes I rough them just like a bowl, DNA them and let them dry for a month or so then do the final turning. Works great. Again that is a nice looking box.

Corey Hallagan
05-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Awesome job Barry, I think it looks great. I am yet to do a box but soon!!

Corey

Barry Stratton
05-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks all for the comments - although ya'll are TOO generous with them!

I'll "rough out" the next one, soak in DNA and and let it sit with the stack of bowl rough outs for a while drying out. I was just getting a tad "impatient" as I wanted to take something to final size/shape other than a pen/pencil!!!!!!! I do have some kiln dried walnut headed this way though.

And John H - You just move that great family into that great house - "the project" should be at the bottom of your list!

Ernie Nyvall
05-21-2006, 4:43 PM
Looks like a good start Barry.

Ernie