PDA

View Full Version : Ms Ruby is up and running again!

Jeff Horton
05-20-2006, 10:59 PM
I finished the shop rearrangement today by installing the last of the wiring and did a little turning tonight. But man I am tried.

As I was wiring up the lathe this afternoon I stated thinking about naming my lathe. I don't typically name my tools but I am kind of fond of my lathe and just out of the blue Ms. Ruby came to mind. This was my wifes Grandmother and she was a card. She loved to go dancing in the country music clubs even in her 70's. She only slowed down when she broke her hip and just wasn't able to get around that well.

I got to thinking how this lathe tried to dance with a really large piece of wood on it and it reminded me of her. It's large, old and likes to dance. Thats Ms. Ruby, besides she loved to give me a hard time and naming the lathe after her would have got her going. ;) It would have given her great pleasure to give me hard time about naming it after her.

38970Photo for the picture police. :)

I really went back and forth on where to put the lathe. I hoisted it into several places before I settled on this arrangement. It leave it open for the addition of Hollow Form turning rig and outboard turning rig. My sharpening station is against the wall to the right. The bowl lathe is beside this and I have shelves behind me. I think I am going to really like this.

I now have to rewire the controller, we made the lead to short for it to reach the wall. I am also going to make the remote for it. Put an E-stop, speed control and forward/reverse switch in a box with a magnet that I can mount anywhere on the lathe.

I think it's time to hit the sack.

Don Baer
05-20-2006, 11:05 PM
I think miss Ruby would like it..;)

Andy Hoyt
05-21-2006, 12:06 AM
"Janine" and I approve.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2006, 12:10 AM
The Bomb..........Miss Ruby would approve!

Corey Hallagan
05-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Nice story Jeff and a good looking machine! I am sure Ms. Ruby is smiling!

Corey

Christopher K. Hartley
05-21-2006, 4:26 AM
"Ms. Ruby". Fond memory and fitting tribute, it just doesn't get better than that.

John Hart
05-21-2006, 8:09 AM
Nice Tribute. A lathe is a thing for creativity....where things of beauty are born. I'm sure she would be honored.:) Nice setup Jeff!....Your shelves however...will be filled with shavings from being launched over your shoulder!!!!:D

Bernie Weishapl
05-21-2006, 10:12 AM
What a great story Jeff. She would be honored I think. Looks like you have a nice arrangement. I am like John though I think the shelfs will be more full of shavings than bowls.

Jim Becker
05-21-2006, 11:05 AM
"Ruby" would be a very nice color, too...maybe a metal-flake job?? :D :D :D