PDA

View Full Version : Help with cutting a flared leg

Alex Berkovsky
05-20-2006, 10:55 PM
I will be starting to make a dresser (http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/woodstore_1897_22981514) for my daughter based on plans from Wood magazine. The plans do include a pattern for the flared legs:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/jarhead8286/Woodworking/th_Dresserleg.jpg (http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/jarhead8286/Woodworking/Dresserleg.jpg)

I am not sure I understand the instructions given for the template - why can't I transfer the pattern right to the leg, cut it with a bandsaw, and sand it?
Here's what the instructions say to do:
"Laminate two ¼x2¾x32¼ pieces of hardboard to make a ½" thick template blank for the legs. Joint one edge. Use spray adhesive to adhere the pattern to the blank, aligning the pattern with the hardboard's jointed edge as indicated. Saw and sand the template to the pattern line."

Chris Rosenberger
05-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Alex,
You can do what works the best for you. The instructions are just a guide. The end product is what we are all after. It does not matter how we get there.

Michael Adelong
05-21-2006, 7:40 AM
Looks like they are giving you instructions for building a template that you can use with a router and a flush trim pattern bit to clean up the cuts after the BS.

Michael

Alex Berkovsky
05-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Looks like they are giving you instructions for building a template that you can use with a router and a flush trim pattern bit to clean up the cuts after the BS. Why would the template be 2¾" wide if the leg is cut to the width of 2½"... unless they are not going into all the minute details and tell you to trim to the leg's final width after the pattern is glued. Sorry the the dumb newbie questions.

Alex Berkovsky
05-24-2006, 8:05 PM
Stuck on the last question - help please :o

David Eisenhauer
05-24-2006, 8:20 PM
I don't believe we knew the final dimension was supposed to be smaller than the pattern. I don't know where the pattern or design came from, but the answers above are what I would have thought of - Use the pattern to take a rough cut leg to smooth cut with a flush trim router bit and the legs can be what you want them to be as long as everything is designed to fit together. Maybe we could get more info and then offer more help.

Alex Berkovsky
05-24-2006, 8:49 PM
The leg's final size is 1½x2x32¼. Because the leg flares at the bottom, I milled it to 1½x2½x32¼ (see posted picture).

Jamie Buxton
05-24-2006, 9:17 PM
I find that the step of transferring a paper template to wood sometimes isn't 100% perfect. Maybe the paper moves, or bends, or something. If I were to try this four times (on four legs), maybe I wouldn't get identical legs. A wooden template increases the probability that all four legs are identical. They might not be exact matches to the original paper, but they are identical among themselves.

As to making the template from wider stock than the leg itself will be, I think it is a practical issue. If you start with stock exactly the same width as the leg, the pencil line on the template stock will come tangent to the edge of the stock. When you try to cut that with a bandsaw or a saber saw, the blade will jump sideways when it starts to break through to the air. Instead, if it stays in the stock for the entire cut, it won't do that jump sideways.

Clyde McKinney
05-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Alex, I just finished that same dresser. The reason for the extra width for the template is to allow for the flare of the leg and give a little space for trimming the template. You can attach the pattern to the wood blank and cut out the leg, but what about the other three legs? I made a template of 1/4 inch material following the directions for width and it worked just fine. If you use a router with the template to clean up the cut leg you will need a pattern bit with a long reach, or else you will need to swith the template from one side of the leg to the other to cover the full width. Sure hope I've helped some.
Clyde

Alex Berkovsky
05-25-2006, 6:13 AM
I just finished that same dresser. The reason for the extra width for the template is to allow for the flare of the leg and give a little space for trimming the template. Clyde,
The flare does require extra width...doesn't it? Just like the leg stock... DOH! :o

If you use a router with the template to clean up the cut leg you will need a pattern bit with a long reach... Sure hope I've helped some.I already ordered a 2" flush trim bit. Yes, you've helped a lot... thanks.