PDA

View Full Version : A wee bit of wood...

Jim Becker
05-20-2006, 10:03 PM
A "few" pieces of ash (and a little maple) got cut up stacked up today. (This is from some necessary tree removal for our driveway project) A little of this will get turned someday...I hope...:o Those are all 4-5' lengths.

Bernie Weishapl
05-20-2006, 10:07 PM
Hey Jim that is a nice looking pile of wood. Ought to make for some good turning for a long time.

Corey Hallagan
05-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Looks like alot of work Jim! Nice stock of green stuff too!

Corey

David Fried
05-20-2006, 10:26 PM
I can just imagine you routing the driveway to take out just the right trees for turning!

John Hart
05-21-2006, 7:32 AM
What a nice pretty pile you got there Mr. Becker!!! Vortex heaven I would say.:)

Ernie Nyvall
05-21-2006, 7:46 AM
Yep, exactly what came to my mind when I looked at your picture... a wee bit of wood.:rolleyes:

Ernie

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-21-2006, 7:50 AM
Looks nicek, but if you leave them on the ground like that, won't they rot?

or is that the idea?

Jim Ketron
05-21-2006, 9:29 AM
Looks Like some fine turning stock Jim!
Now Get Busy!:D

Doug Thompson
05-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Now that's a wood pile... for you and 50 of your closest friends. Nice size logs too.

Have fun,
Doug

Andy Hoyt
05-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Jim - For your consideration.

Jim Becker
05-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Looks nicek, but if you leave them on the ground like that, won't they rot? or is that the idea?
Stu, they aren't staying there. I had to get the area by the road where the trees came down cleared out so the fellow from PENNDOT wouldn't take offense and deny my driveway permit. I also didn't want to leave the logs down by the road as they very well could get stolen... ;) Sectioning off at 4'-5' made the logs manageable to move with arms, backs and the very handy Kubota.

Here's before the trees came down:

And here's after they were on the ground:

And what it looks like now:

Next step is to buck most of it for firewood...Fred Voorhees and Robert Tarr will be getting a bunch of it for "future labor" when it gets closer to home addition time. (some deck demolition, etc., to save some cost) Some of this will be for turning...a little for me and some for others. Coincidently, Fred worked with me for many hours yesterday to do most of the cleanup. Here's the classic "I'm really tired" look on Mr. Fred's face...

And yours truly exercising the Stihl...

Needless to say..."I hurt, too" :o That was a lot of heavy duty work.

I do have one more big Norway maple to cut up. It wasn't included in the original set of trees I marked off for removal, but I decided it needed down, too, to insure the sight line was as clear as it could be. A twenty dollar bill insured it "conveniently" fell down away from the road before the crew left... ;)

Fred Voorhees
05-21-2006, 2:31 PM
And Jim, while Karen didn't have to spoon feed me last night while out at dinner, she did "kind of" have to dress me this morning. I couldn't reach around to put my arm into the sleeve of the shirt since my limbs were "hurtin'" so darned much.:eek: Did quite a bit of stuff today, but only because it wouldn't get done any other way. I'm a hurtin puppy today.:o

Jim Becker
05-21-2006, 6:48 PM
Trust me, Fred, I was hurting this morning, too. (I kept working to finish the rest up...it was fun rolling big logs UP the pile solo!!)

Keith Christopher
05-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Makes you wish you had a woodmizer 'eh Jim ?

Jim Becker
05-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Makes you wish you had a woodmizer 'eh Jim ?

I do have a good local sawyer with a Woodmizer, but honestly, there would not have been enough to make it worth bringing him in and I haven't bought my trailer yet to be able to take it to him. No biggie...it will all be put to good use. Nothing will be wasted, including the chippings.