PDA

View Full Version : PC 4212 dovetail jig @ Amazon

Ron Jones near Indy
05-20-2006, 9:55 PM
Hurry on over to Amazon. PC 4212 for $109.55 with free shipping sounds like a great deal to me! Hope I like it.:)

Alex Berkovsky
05-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Hurry on over to Amazon. PC 4212 for $109.55 with free shipping sounds like a great deal to me! Hope I like it.:)Ron,
thanks for the heads-up. I hope my wife approves :D

Greg Koch
05-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Not only a great price, and free shipping, but they gave me an introductory membership in the 2 day shipping for free club. Mine should be here on Wed...no extra cost. I've been waiting on this, as the price just doesn't go down on these all that often that also includes free shipping.

Michael Adelong
05-21-2006, 7:35 AM
That's a great deal on the jig. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Now you need to find a good deal on 2 routers to go with it. I used my 4212 two times to make test cuts. Next thing I knew, I'm buying 2 PC 690 routers to go with it. I figured that a whole kitchen full of drawers would be a lot of bit swapping...

Michael

Alex Berkovsky
05-21-2006, 10:30 AM
That's a great deal on the jig. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Now you need to find a good deal on 2 routers to go with it. I used my 4212 two times to make test cuts. Next thing I knew, I'm buying 2 PC 690 routers to go with it. I figured that a whole kitchen full of drawers would be a lot of bit swapping...Michael,
Why 2 routers? Is one for plowing with a straight bit?

Gary Sostrin
05-21-2006, 3:03 PM
Thanks, just bought one. Noticed on earlier link that coastal tools had one for $130 appox. This price pushed me over the edge.

Allen Bookout
05-21-2006, 3:15 PM
Michael,
Why 2 routers? Is one for plowing with a straight bit?

You got it. One with a dovetail bit set at the correct depth and one with a straight bit set at the correct depth will save you a TON of time.

Allen Bookout
05-22-2006, 1:03 PM
One other thing that I would like to say about routers for dovetail jigs. I was just cutting some dovetails and I had a dovetail bit in a Milwaukee 5615 and for some reason I put a straight bit in a DeWalt 621 that had a Pat Warner clear base so did not think much about it. When I started cutting I could not see the bushing or bit in relation to the guides with the 621 due to the solid base part of the router and that made the job a little more difficult for me. Much easier to make a mistake. I do not use a PC jig so do not know if that would be an issue or not but I suspect that it could be. Or if later you got another brand it could be also.

I think that the DeWalt 621 is a very good router but would get something else for this type of use. Just make sure that it is one where you can see the bushing and/or bit in relation to the guides.

Steve Clardy
05-22-2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks!! Ordered one

Alan Tolchinsky
05-23-2006, 9:02 PM
That's a great deal. I've had one for a year and it works great. The depth adjustment works great.

Larry Cooke
05-23-2006, 9:24 PM
That's a great deal. I've had one for a year and it works great. The depth adjustment works great.Alan,

I just ordered one of these myself and was wondering about the bits it uses. Will I be limited to PC brand of bits only? I thought I had read somewhere where getting the PC brand of bits that work with this can be a challenge. It seems to me that you could use most brands but?

Thanks,

Larry

Greg Koch
05-23-2006, 9:28 PM
Larry,

I think you might be thinking about the bits for the 4215 mini templet that uses smaller bits. They were a problem in the past, but other companies have them available now. I plan on getting that templet later on...once I get used to the ones that come with the 4212 Jig.

Scott Donley
05-23-2006, 9:40 PM
Alan,

I just ordered one of these myself and was wondering about the bits it uses. Will I be limited to PC brand of bits only? I thought I had read somewhere where getting the PC brand of bits that work with this can be a challenge. It seems to me that you could use most brands but?

Thanks,

LarryWhiteside makes the bit, it is a 7 deg. dovetail. You can buy them from Woodcraft (http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5279) .

Larry Cooke
05-23-2006, 9:59 PM
I think you might be thinking about the bits for the 4215 mini templet that uses smaller bits.I wasn't sure, but I did remember reading about the bits for (a) PC dovetail jig and that must have been it.

Thanks!

Larry

Larry Cooke
05-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Whiteside makes the bit, it is a 7 deg. dovetail. You can buy them from Woodcraft (http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5279) .Thanks Scott! I was really hoping I could use the Whiteside (one of my favorite brands.)

Larry

Steve Clardy
05-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Mine oughta be here the end of the week.
Tried kicking in their MAYPOWER 10% discount also.
Naw. Software kicked it out. Not elidable on this deal.

Larry Cooke
05-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Mine oughta be here the end of the week.
Tried kicking in their MAYPOWER 10% discount also.
Naw. Software kicked it out. Not elidable on this deal.Steve,

I had the same problem too. The MAYPOWER discount is only good once per customer. I assume you have already used it once? Luckily I used mine on a DW618PK router, guess I got more bang for my buck, but if I had known I would have bought a couple other goodies I'm needing. Oh well, live and learn...

Larry

Alan Tolchinsky
05-24-2006, 1:05 AM
Alan,

Thanks,

Larry

Larry, Sorry I was late to see your question but I see it's been answered. Alan

Steve Clardy
05-24-2006, 2:36 AM
Steve,

I had the same problem too. The MAYPOWER discount is only good once per customer. I assume you have already used it once? Luckily I used mine on a DW618PK router, guess I got more bang for my buck, but if I had known I would have bought a couple other goodies I'm needing. Oh well, live and learn...

Larry

No. Hadn't used it before. Notice came up telling me that the discount was not good with this item:(

Greg Koch
05-24-2006, 3:20 AM
The "MayPower" is good for only some items, and the 4412 is not one of them... I tried too.

Mine is being delivered tomorrow.:D

Steve Clardy
06-01-2006, 8:43 PM
Brown flew by today and pitched mine off.
Now for some setup time.

Greg Koch
06-01-2006, 8:54 PM
Took some time to sink in, first time to do DT's, but I'm getting the hang of it. Jig is nice, well built.

Steve Clardy
06-01-2006, 9:20 PM
Super.

I want to set this one up permanent. Do all my drawers dovetail.
Spruce up my cabinets

Julio Navarro
06-02-2006, 11:17 AM
I was thinking the same thing, Steve. I will have a spot dedicated for that jig full time. The one thing I learned when using mine is that most of the time is taken up by the set up. Once you hit the "sweet-spot" it has great results. So keeping it set up full time seems like a good idea.

Rob Bodenschatz
06-02-2006, 11:27 AM
I received mine a few weeks ago but have yet to try it out. I would like to do as you guys are saying and set up a permanant station for it. If anyone ends up doing that (or has already done), please post pics.

Steve Clardy
06-02-2006, 11:37 AM
I was thinking the same thing, Steve. I will have a spot dedicated for that jig full time. The one thing I learned when using mine is that most of the time is taken up by the set up. Once you hit the "sweet-spot" it has great results. So keeping it set up full time seems like a good idea.

Yep. Gotta find a spot for it.
Maybe on the end of my second dual-router table [under construction].

Had to do some ebaying to get some more 690's for it, and ended up with an extra. But that will leave me short a router for the dovetail jig. [Takes two doesn't it?]

My router collection is bulgeing. [Close to catching up with tod:) ;) ]

Roland Chung
06-02-2006, 1:13 PM
I got busy last week and didn't check the forum and missed out on this sweet deal. I may have to pick one up locally for $164 or $180 for a project that I am in the middle of.

What size straight bit are you guys using to plow with?

Thanks!

Alex Berkovsky
06-02-2006, 1:25 PM
... What size straight bit are you guys using to plow with?Roland,

Whiteside P/N's RD7531 and R1064A are a great replacement for 4212.

Steve Clardy
06-02-2006, 6:39 PM
Now what do I do with it:confused: :rolleyes: ;) :)