PDA

View Full Version : two PCs one monitor

Mike Evertsen
05-20-2006, 9:48 PM
is it possible to use one monitor with two PCs. I would think I can only one PC at a time.

John Miliunas
05-20-2006, 9:57 PM
Absolutely! Do a "google" on KVM switches. There are those which go from two pc's up to enterprise systems controlling multitudes of machines from a single keyboard, mouse and monitor. For more in line with home use, there are basically two types; One has PS2 inputs for the keyboard and mouse, the other has USB inputs. The monitor input is typically analog (VGA) type. You should be able to pick up a decent one with cables for under $50.00. :) :cool:

Lee DeRaud
05-20-2006, 9:59 PM
Pretty easy, actually. A lot of newer monitors have multiple switchable inputs: one button press gets you from one PC to the other.

A more elegant solution is a KVM (keyboard-video-mouse) switch that switches the whole "cockpit" between two or more CPUs.

Mike Evertsen
05-21-2006, 7:00 AM
Thanks I ordered a KVM switch this morning.

Michael Gibbons
05-21-2006, 2:38 PM
Absolutely! Do a "google" on KVM switches. There are those which go from two pc's up to enterprise systems controlling multitudes of machines from a single keyboard, mouse and monitor. For more in line with home use, there are basically two types; One has PS2 inputs for the keyboard and mouse, the other has USB inputs. The monitor input is typically analog (VGA) type. You should be able to pick up a decent one with cables for under $50.00. :) :cool:

....UH...O.K. I think?

John Miliunas
05-21-2006, 4:37 PM
....UH...O.K. I think?

Mike, questions? Not sure of terminology? Fire away and I'll see if I can clear anything up for you. :) (IT stuff is what I do for a living so, happy to assist if I can.) :) :cool: