PDA

View Full Version : Minor Gloat: Record Vise on clearance at Lee valley

Frank Pellow
05-20-2006, 7:39 PM
As I mentioned in another thread recently, for the first time ever I was without a vise of any kind in my shop. I do plan to build/buy a couple of woodworking vises when building a workbench next winter. But, in the meantime, I really missed not having a vise.

That problem was solved today when I found this Quick Release Mechanics vise as an in-store clearence at my local Lee Valley.

38947 38948

Notice that it is a "real" Record vise -i.e. one of those made in Sheffield, England. And the price was good -$55 (Canadian).

Also, one of the features of this vise is a small built-in anvil and, somehow I lost my anvil when moving back to Toronto from Seattle three years ago. So, this makes the vise even more useful to me.

Brad Townsend
05-20-2006, 8:06 PM
Good score!

Not to be a smart aleck, but how do you lose an anvil?:D

Frank Pellow
05-20-2006, 9:07 PM
Good score!

Not to be a smart aleck, but how do you lose an anvil?:D
It's not easy, but somehow I did. :confused: Or, maybe the movers did. Anyway, I first looked for it about a year after we moved back and it was nowhere to be found.

Dan Larson
05-21-2006, 12:05 AM
It's not easy, but somehow I did. :confused: Or, maybe the movers did. Anyway, I first looked for it about a year after we moved back and it was nowhere to be found.

I don't suppose that was an Acme anvil that went missing, now was it? If so, I think I've found your thief...

Brad Townsend
05-21-2006, 10:53 AM
I don't suppose that was an Acme anvil that went missing, now was it? If so, I think I've found your thief...
Good detective work Dan!

I've always been amazed at the product line diversity of the Acme Company. They make everything from anvils to giant spring running shoes to backpack rocket engines. And to stay in business with only one customer is truly amazing.

Pete Harbin
05-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Hey guys,

Not to hijack the thread, but I've noticed over the past couple days, that I'm not seeing pictures in the posts anymore. Any tips on where to start looking. I did try out Firefox the other day, but I'm using IE regularly.

Nice score Frank...wish I could see it! :D

Pete

Frank Pellow
05-21-2006, 5:10 PM
Dan, that looks exactly like my old anvil. Thanks for letting me know where it probably went. :D

Corey Hallagan
05-21-2006, 7:34 PM
Nice gloat Frank! Congrats!

Corey