PDA

View Full Version : Making a hat

Doug Thompson
05-20-2006, 7:11 PM
I make alot of hats for fun but this one will be donated to the Johnny Appleseed Wood Carvers in Mansfield, Ohio. This will be raffled at there upcoming show June 3-4... so I took pictures to go with the hat.

1st pic. - It starts as a blank about 16 inches in diameter and about 7-9 inches thick. A chain sawn blank is fine, no need to round it on a BS.

I'm not sure how to upload many pictures to one post so bear with me...

2nd pic. - It's roughed out then mounted between centers. Chuck/faceplate

3rd pic - The outside is finished to shape

4th pic. - Then the faceplate is mounted on the spindle and you follow the outside shape to 3/32 of a inch.

5th pic. - This shows the brim being thined... there is a light behind but the flash went off. Oups

Hummm, only 5 pictures per post.

Doug Thompson
05-20-2006, 7:13 PM
6th pic. - Hollowed out and waiting for the wood to dry enough to sand.

7th pic. - Time to clean the mess... two and a half bags

8th pic - done

This is just a few simple steps, I'll post the finished picture in a few days.

Don Baer
05-20-2006, 7:46 PM
Kewl Doug,
Thanks for sharing.

Corey Hallagan
05-20-2006, 7:51 PM
Just to cool Doug!

Corey

Andy Hoyt
05-20-2006, 7:53 PM
Yup. I like that. I really really like that.

Next time I go home to visit family in VT, it will include a session at Johannes' place.

And think of all the Swiss Chocolate Chip that puppy can hold.

Joe Judge
05-20-2006, 8:35 PM
You make it look so easy ...

Nice hat!

-- joe

John Hart
05-20-2006, 8:55 PM
Incredible work Doug!! Thanks a bunch for the How-To. I'm feeling that tingle to give'er a try!:)

Reed Gray
05-20-2006, 8:58 PM
Nice job. What is the wood?
robo hippy

John Timberlake
05-20-2006, 9:35 PM
Really like this. Most of them I have seen look like cowboy hats. This is way cooler. Love the grain in the wood too. I can only turn 14" without rotating the head. Maybe I could try a derby. But then I would need some skill.

Dick Parr
05-20-2006, 9:38 PM
Very nice Doug! Wonderful job.:)

John Miliunas
05-20-2006, 9:49 PM
That's real neat, Doug and thanks much for the mini-tutorial! :) One question I do have, though is, how do you finish off the top of the hat? The last pic I see of the top is when it's still on the faceplate. Actually, one other question: Seeing as to how the wood is very green, don't the hat's end up a bit elliptical? Sorry for all the questions but, I'm just trying to arm my own "arsenal" of "how-to's" in case I ever muster up enough courage to actually try one of those! :D :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
05-20-2006, 10:17 PM
That is awesome Doug. Thanks for sharing.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Outstanding Doug! I got to see one of those in a turning display in Moscow, Idaho....Uof I museum. I wondered how they turned them. Thanks!

Jim Ketron
05-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the pics Doug!
Thats cool!
Nice work!

Dennis Peacock
05-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Just way too Cool!!!!!! Very nicely done Doug. :D :D

Frank Chaffee
05-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Hats off to you, Doug!

Frank

Doug Thompson
05-21-2006, 2:24 AM
Once again thanks for the replys... it does the soul good.

Hats can't be any harder to make than a bowl, hollow form or any other turning... there just different. The skills are the same. Remember the symposium in June... "Step up to the plate" a baseball cap would be perfect.

Andy - I don't know if I could post a link to another forum that discribes my weekend at Johannes studio but it was a amazing experience. Watch the video before and make the optional baseball cap on the last day. It costs a few extra bucks but worth it. Bring your wife, Manchester is outlet store central.

John H. - If you ever want to try send a email. I make them all the time.

Reed - This is ambrosia maple found at our city firewood dump.

John T. - You could squeek one out at 14 inches. A durby or a baseball cap would be easy. Contact me if you want to try.

John M. - see the next post.

Barry Stratton
05-21-2006, 2:43 AM
Doug - tHAT is simply amazing! Thanks for the brief" how to"! Incredible work.

Doug Thompson
05-21-2006, 3:13 AM
John M. - Here's some old pictures that shows a light box that is made to rechuck the hat. It has a 100 watt bulb inside. The other picture shows the hat done on the rechuck. You learn to turn by color... different woods allow more or less light to go through. Stick with maple it's a easy wood to turn thin. Woods like elm or cherry don't allow much light to pass so I'll turn off the shop lights and turn in the dark... that's tough to do.

Elliptical... bend the heck out of them to fit our oval heads. If they are cut right they will bend, slightly thick they won't.

Watch the video, it does give all the information to turn one. If you need any help send a email.

EDIT - Time to turn this hat... 2 hours 4 minutes. Not bad!
It's late,
Doug

Michael Stafford
05-21-2006, 6:19 AM
Most excellent, Doug. I had an idea how hats were turned but your how-to is great. Somehow I don't think it is quite that easy however. On my little lathe hats would be restricted to beanies....:p :D Very nice work!

Jim Dunn
05-21-2006, 7:52 AM
Real nice work Doug. I really like your bending process better than Andy's. He just pounds it on your head for a form fit. Course, your all week picking splinters out of your scalp, but it does fit.:)

Ernie Nyvall
05-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the tutorial Doug. It looks interesting and you certainly do fine work. I wonder if one could be made out of mesquite.

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
05-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Doug - How do you power that lightbulb without having the line twist itself into smithereens in 3.2 nanoseconds?

John Miliunas
05-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Doug, thanks much for the additional info! That is just way too cool!!! :D My hat's off to you, my friend!!! Great job and process. :) :cool:

Doug Thompson
05-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Ernie, I've never turned or seen mesquite before so I can't answer your question. The wood has to be very green to bend. You could make a small one then wrap it with a rubber band, it should start to bend in a short time.

Small hats make a good gift... make the top flat and turn the top of it like you would finish the bottom of a bowl. When the wood starts to flex it's thin enough.

Doug Thompson
05-21-2006, 1:00 PM
Doug - How do you power that lightbulb without having the line twist itself into smithereens in 3.2 nanoseconds?

The light box is attached to the spindle and the light bulb socket is attached to a lamp rod that runs through the head stock with a bearing at either end so the spindle revolves around the lamp rod. The wire iis run through the threaded lamp rod. If it's not clear I could post a pictue later tonight.

Andy Hoyt
05-21-2006, 1:34 PM
Thanks, Doug. That helps. Pic not needed, but would be enjoyable.

Doug Thompson
05-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Andy, here's a picture of the light rod assembly. It starts with threaded lamp rod with a bulb scocket screwed on one end, the wire runs through the threaded rod. Find two bearings with a ID that will slide over the threaded rod, use nuts to lock down one bearing close to the light scocket. This bearing will fit in a recess inside the light box. The outboard bearing is glued into a recess with a small step to fit into the through hole in the headstock, vice grips to hold everything in place. Use a quick install plug (drug store).

Johannes did one heck of a good job to figure this all out.

Hope this helps,
Doug