PDA

View Full Version : Buckeye NE

John Miliunas
05-20-2006, 6:49 PM
I decided to make an attempt at a larger NE bowl this week. It was to be a Mother's Day present but, pain overpowered "want" for a while and now, I'm just not too sure it's good enough. Oh well...I tried. :o

Anyhow, it's a chunk of Hart-wood...errrrrrrrrr....Buckey. Buckeye burl, to be exact, which I received from our buddy John H. some time back. I turned it green. Partway through, it started to develop cracks rather rapidly so, I hit it with CA and decided to make it more of an "artsy" piece and continue turning it green. Warps, stress cracks and all! :D It did indeed turn out more elliptical than true round, as well as some lumps and bumps around the pith and burls. The LOML actually likes a more "natural" look to NE's, hence I didn't even bother filling voids and such with epoxy concoctions or such. Just hit a couple of the bigger cracks with CA. It sits at a touch over 7" wide and 4+" tall. Finish is tung oil cut with Naphtha and shellac on the inside, while the outside is the oil and numerous coats of lacquer. In/out buffed on Mr. Beall. Certainly not near the quality of other pieces seen on this site but, the LOML still likes it and has accepted it as a gift. That's what counts, I guess. :) Thanks for taking a peak and don't be afraid of being "rude" with critiques! I've got a long, long ways to go! :rolleyes: :) :cool:

Mark Cothren
05-20-2006, 7:08 PM
Nice work John! Nice figure in that wood!!!

Keith Burns
05-20-2006, 7:13 PM
John, this is a very "rich" NE. Looks great to me. Great job:) :)

George Conklin
05-20-2006, 7:46 PM
Looks "good enough" to me, John. Pretty darn nice as a matter of fact!:)

Don Baer
05-20-2006, 7:48 PM
John,
That is truly a work of art. Great job.

Andy Hoyt
05-20-2006, 7:49 PM
That's a great piece, John. And it looks nice and thin, too.

Worth at least a double word score - how about, "Far Out!"

Corey Hallagan
05-20-2006, 7:49 PM
I don't know man, I think it looks awesome John. Seriously, nothing to be reluctant about there!

Corey

Frank Chaffee
05-20-2006, 7:58 PM
Awesome Dude!!!

Frank Chaffee
05-20-2006, 8:02 PM
Fabulous Dude!!!

Frank Chaffee
05-20-2006, 8:04 PM
…And did I say that I like it, Dude???

Frank Chaffee
05-20-2006, 8:12 PM
Darn John,
You got me so flustered by sharing that terrific NE, I plumb forgot to come up with a rude critique.

Maybe next time.

Frank

John Miliunas
05-20-2006, 8:16 PM
Darn John,
You got me so flustered by sharing that terrific NE, I plumb forgot to come up with a rude critique.

Maybe next time.

Frank

Yo....Take it easy there, bud! It's really not that awesome! :o Hey, I've still got another chunk of Buckeye...Come on over and I'll chuck it up for 'ya! :D :cool:

John Hart
05-20-2006, 8:21 PM
Atta boy JM....Strap Frank into the vortex and don't let him go!:D

Hey you made that burl turn out pretty nice buddy!! :)

Steve Ash
05-20-2006, 9:18 PM
Looks pretty darn nice to me John, and if you say you have a long ways to go...then I might as well quit right now cause I'll never get even close to that.

Would you mind giving Michiganders lessons in June?:cool:

Dick Parr
05-20-2006, 9:23 PM
Glad you are getting back into it John. That sure makes a really nice Mothers Day present and I bet she doesn't even care how late it is.

Great Job.;)

John Miliunas
05-20-2006, 9:25 PM
Would you mind giving Michiganders lessons in June?:cool:

Bwaaaahhhhh! I just spewed Diet 7-Up on my screen again!!! :eek: Sure, if your idea of a lesson is the blind leading the not-so blind! :D I've already seen what you can do on the spinny thing with just the few tries you've done! You'll have that chuck adapter by week's end and, by the time you get out here next month, you'll be giving me lessons!!! :) (But that's OK, too! I need them!) :) :cool:

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-20-2006, 9:31 PM
Looks good, but I do understand your feelings of "well I could have done better" I get that too, then my wife goes "Wow, that is really nice!" and I feel a whole lot better.

Learning a skill is a journey and I bet that any of the top turners can look back at their old pieces and wish they could redo them, as they are always getting better.

Great looking bowl, figure that will hold some serious icecream! :D

John Timberlake
05-20-2006, 9:42 PM
Great job. I love the form, color and grain. The only buckeye burl I have turned had a lot of dark blue/grey in it. This looks nicer.

John Miliunas
05-20-2006, 9:53 PM
Great job. I love the form, color and grain. The only buckeye burl I have turned had a lot of dark blue/grey in it. This looks nicer.

Blue/gray??? Hmmmm...That sounds interesting, as well! This was my first shot at Buckeye (thanks again to John H.!!!), as I don't believe we have any of it natively 'round these parts.

Thanks to all for your all too kind comments! :o I'm really hoping to have that surgery done on my hand by the end of summer so, that by this time next year, I should be spending some real serious time on the spinny thing! Granted, it would take me several more years to catch up to the rest of you, but I can dream, right??? :D :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
05-20-2006, 10:06 PM
John that is a wonderful looking bowl. I like the form and finish. Hey John if the LOYL likes it hey it don't get any better than that. Nice job John.

Jim Ketron
05-20-2006, 11:10 PM
Oh Yea!
Awesome NE John!
keep-em coming!

Corey Hallagan
05-21-2006, 12:37 AM
John, alot of the buckeye burl I have seen is blue,grey and mixed with some tan color. Mineral stained maybe. I have several pen blanks myself like that.
Corey

Michael Stafford
05-21-2006, 6:23 AM
Way to go, John! I am so glad you are able to turn once in a while because you always do nice work. I hope it is therapy for you.:D

Ernie Nyvall
05-21-2006, 9:13 AM
Looks great to me John.

Ernie

Glenn Hodges
05-21-2006, 10:49 AM
John, I like it also.

Mark Singer
05-21-2006, 6:09 PM
John,
I love it! Great work!

John Miliunas
05-21-2006, 7:28 PM
Once again, many sincere thanks to all! :o Certainly not the caliber to which we're accustomed to 'round these parts but, it was fun doing anyway. :) So much so, I decided to chuck up a small Maple piece (dry one this time), and hope to have it done, so that my daughter can take it home with her to Florida. I can realistically only turn for rather short bursts of time but, I think I'll be able to knock it out for her. :) :cool:

Ed Scolforo
05-21-2006, 9:10 PM
John. you should be very happy with that bowl, it looks great!
Ed

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2006, 9:34 PM
Very, very nice bowl John!

Greg Koch
05-22-2006, 9:59 PM
Uh...what's an "NE"?

Codeless in Seattle....

John Miliunas
05-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Uh...what's an "NE"?

Codeless in Seattle....

Greg, that would be: Natural Edge. We get them in all kinds of different flavors! :) This one just happens to be Buckeye. :) :cool: