PDA

View Full Version : how's pecan wood?

Rafael Carias
05-20-2006, 6:16 PM
I need an economical choice of lumber for some personal project of mine and i hear pecan is good wood, can anybody comment on that.

Lee DeRaud
05-20-2006, 6:19 PM
Probably depends on where you are: I've only seen it at one place out here, and it was pretty pricey.

tod evans
05-20-2006, 6:21 PM
rafael, i`ve built a couple piece out of pecan, worked fine for me. the boards i had really where nothing fancy but the price was right so i used `em..02 tod

Tom Hamilton
05-20-2006, 6:25 PM
Hi Rafael: In the south, Pecan and Hickory are sold interchangably. They are genetic cousins.

The wood machines well, takes stain and has what I consider pleasing grain patterns.

In Houston the last I bought was 4S4 1X6's at $2.80/ lineal foot.

Hope this helps, Tom

Rafael Carias
05-20-2006, 6:49 PM
hi

thanks for the info guys. i am planing on getting all rough lumber (five quarter if possible) and doing the dimensioning, milling and polishing at my uncles big custom woodworks for the fun factor.

i am in California (los angeles) so i'll just have to see how much it cost at the nearest lumber yard (20 miles away)

Mike Henderson
05-20-2006, 6:58 PM
Rafael, I'm in Orange county and have built some stuff from pecan. It's a good strong wood, just a bit hard. The last I bought from Austin Hardwoods in Santa Ana was $4.57 bf (contractor pricing) for 8/4 S3S stock. If you want rough lumber, check with Bonhoff Lumber, 3411 E 26th St Los Angeles, CA 90023 323-263-9361.

Good luck!

Mike

Rafael Carias
05-20-2006, 7:23 PM
if you would Believe it, i used to shop at bonhoff every other week about 7 years ago, but then i worked in tenant improment for a while than in commercial metal framing than not long after that i started in finish carpentry with some cabinet making but what i really want to work in is big wood custom woodworks. today i work in the pasadena and sorrounding areas doing some finish carpentry and a little cabinet making for a general. the only decent place around here for lumber is Arroyo hard wood but its not enough of a lumber yard for me. i've been telling my boss for months about bonhoff but he doesn't want to waste effor going up there for lumber. by the end of this year i plan on going solo and start my own shop.

note: edited for clearity

Randy Meijer
05-21-2006, 1:34 AM
I need an economical choice of lumber for some personal project of mine and i hear pecan is good wood, can anybody comment on that.

how's pecan wood? (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36777) Very tastey!!

Probably not what you want to hear; but I use pecan to smoke all of my briskets and ribs!!! :D :D

Craig Stueve
05-21-2006, 11:01 AM
how's pecan wood? (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36777) Very tastey!!

Probably not what you want to hear; but I use pecan to smoke all of my briskets and ribs!!! :D :D
Randy nailed it.

It machines well into manageable chunks for smoking. Good smooth flavor without being too strong.

Hope this helps....

Time to light the grill.......

Craig

Mike Hollingsworth
05-21-2006, 11:58 AM
Not Ringo and Paul
Powder Post Beetles were in two different loads of Hickory that I purchased from two different sources. Full of worm holes.
They like the lighter part of the tree, the outside. I've never seen damage to the darker inside.
I think this lumber is fabulous. When I got it, I couldn't decide how to deal with the two different colors. Light for the stiles, dark for the panels? No. I ended up using the light in the bathroom and dark for the kitchen. I finished the bathroom cabinets and have decided to purchase the cabinets for the kitchen. I look forward to building stuff with all my dark hickory.

mike

Kelly C. Hanna
05-21-2006, 3:52 PM
It's wonderful...I BBQ on it all the time!!

Seriously, Pecan and Hickory are both beautiful woods.

Alan DuBoff
05-22-2006, 5:41 AM
Interesting thread, and I do have some pecan/hickory and do find it hard. I used an 8' length to make an apron on a bench I rennovated recentely.

While it is certainly hard, I find it decent to work with, it cuts cleaninly, it's doesn't seem to splinter too bad, and it chisels very well, IMO. It does have a tendancy to split/check, but once dried I've heard it's not a problem.

I like the looks of it, and the sap and heartwood seem to have distinct changes. I also like the looks of it when paired up with walnut. I paired it up with purple heart on the apron I used it for recently:

(linky image)

http://www.softorchestra.com/woodworking/tools/bench_renovation/small_closeup.jpg (http://www.softorchestra.com/woodworking/tools/bench_renovation/)

For those thinking hickory is hard, on paper that is true, but this purple heart was flooring and is like cement, it's way harder than other purple heart I have, it might be harder than cement... :eek:

Rafael Carias
05-22-2006, 10:31 PM
ITs settled then, i'll be taking a trip to Bohoff soon.

Michael Conner
05-22-2006, 11:07 PM
Pecan is really hard, and it can be pricey because it really can be tough to dry, resulting in a good bit of degrade. Thus, prices can be higher to make up for degrade losses. Also, all pecan is not equal. Some has spectacular grain while others are pretty plain. All of it is HARD.