PDA

View Full Version : Another wood ID game

Joe Fisher
05-20-2006, 3:32 PM
So I went back to the magic wood spot where I found the Moraine locust last time (thanks for the help IDing that one), and what did I find but a NEW pile of moraine locust!

After lifting all I could into my pickup, I spotted some of this:

There were pieces of trunk from about 14" to about 18" in diameter. Unfortunately, most of them were 4-6' long, and I could only manage a couple in my pickup by myself. Didn't have the chainsaw with me.

Then I spotted the base of the main trunk. It was on its side, all lumpy, and over 4 FEET in diameter. I looked at the base of the trunk, looked at my Tacoma, looked at the trunk, looked at my Tacoma...:D

So what do you think it is? The heartwood has a lot of reds and pinks in it.

-Joe

Glenn Hodges
05-20-2006, 4:00 PM
It looks just like some sycamore I cut down about a year ago.

Brad Hart
05-20-2006, 4:27 PM
This is a sycamore subspecies, probably not american sycamore based on how high that would have been cut from the ground based on diamter, but I don't have enough info on the rest of the tree to tell you which variety for sure. Was any of the bark white? Based on the lack of bark shedding shown and your location I am guessing this is either a london or oriental planetree. The oriental planetree gets a pretty good girth but not quite as much as like the the american sycamore and it doesn't shed nearly as much bark. I have never heard of a london planetree getting quite as big as you are discribing but the wood and the bark are a pretty good match to it.

Curt Fuller
05-20-2006, 6:24 PM
Sycamore, American, English, Plane, or whatever and that piece of crotchwood ought to make something really pretty.

Brad Hart
05-20-2006, 6:42 PM
Sycamore, American, English, Plane, or whatever and that piece of crotchwood ought to make something really pretty.

I thought that same thing and can'tr wait till this summer when I have the choicest pick of a 1/2 acre stand of mostly sycamore and elm is coming down. god bless my firends at the county parks service.