PDA

View Full Version : one way owners (that means you Andy !)

Keith Christopher
05-20-2006, 3:05 PM
Comments on this model ? I am thinking about getting this next week, comments ?

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/catalog/oneway1224.html

Reed Gray
05-20-2006, 3:23 PM
I own a PM 3520, but have used this lathe a few times for demos.Compared to other similar sized lathes, it is very good. Compared to the PM, it is a nice little lathe.
robo hippy

Halsey MCCombs
05-20-2006, 4:03 PM
Very happy with mine.I have had it for over a year.Halsey

Andy Hoyt
05-20-2006, 4:08 PM
Keith - a couple of guys in my club have these and love them. And all are equipped with the 24" bed extension. I've never turned on a 1224 but it's essentially an upgraded and upsized 1018 which I'm very familar with; and I loved it.

The 1224 is not designed for outboard turning. But Oneway will tell you that the bearings and headstock casing will handle the load should you devise a method for doing so. With that said and assumed to be not something you're interested in pursuing; and a 12" swing x 24" or 48" is acceptable, then by all means go for it.

One of the things that's always impressed me about Oneway's product development protocols that I greatly admire - and which sets them apart from many other manufacturers - is with regard to the engineering that goes into any machine of a given size. What this means is that if a chunk of wood will fit on that machine you'll be able to turn it and the machine will be up to the challenge regardless of your mounting orientation.

Whereas many machines with similar capacities are essentially spindle lathes that can handle really fat pieces as centerwork; but perform less well when tasked with facework at the capacity limits. Did I say that right?

Knowing that all Oneways are essentially custom built, let me know if you'd like some help with developing the specs for it.

EDIT : Keith clear your PM box or shoot me your email address. I got more info for you.

Keith Christopher
05-20-2006, 4:27 PM
EDIT : Keith clear your PM box or shoot me your email address. I got more info for you.

Done! Didn't know it saved sent items. LOL !

Chris Barton
05-20-2006, 4:58 PM
My local Woodcraft has one of these and I have turned on it and must say that this mid-sized lathe "taked dirty" to me. I need one of these like I need a hole in my head but, I am afraid the one at the Woodcraft store might follow me home soon. So, if you want a truely great mid-sized lathe, then this jewel can't be beat!

George Conklin
05-20-2006, 5:18 PM
My local Woodcraft has one of these and I have turned on it and must say that this mid-sized lathe "taked dirty" to me. I am afraid the one at the Woodcraft store might follow me home soon.

I hate it when the tools start talking to me! It hurts my wallet!

John Shuk
05-20-2006, 7:18 PM
Honestly I think it is alot of money for a lathe without alot of capacity. I'm sure it a great machine but the Powermatic can do so much more with little sacrifice. To me it is akin to paying a thousand bucks for a 19 inch plasma tv. It is still only 19 inches. I'm not dissing the lathe just don't want to see you come up wanting in a couple years.

Jim Bell
05-20-2006, 8:13 PM
Buy the Powermatic. I have one. I have no problems w/ the Oneway lathe, the PM just has so much flexibility built into it. I wouldn't trade the PM for any Oneway even, no matter what the size. Ok I'm gonna get into my bomb shelter and await the inevitable. I pretty much own everything Oneway sells except a lathe. They are great people. That said, I'm heading for cover!!
Jim:D

Christopher K. Hartley
05-20-2006, 8:46 PM
Gee, this is sounding more and more like Ford Man or Chevy Man.

Reed Gray
05-20-2006, 8:52 PM
The only 'bad' thing about the Oneway is the steel tube. because it isn't cast iron (which does a much better job of dampening vibration), occasionally, the wood, and the steel will harmonize and you get a resonating howl, not too loud, but annoying if you aren't used to it. A minor thing.
robo hippy

David Fried
05-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Keith,

Get it. ;)

If you don't like it,
send it to me! :D

Or better yet, Tyler!! :eek:

Jim Becker
05-20-2006, 10:26 PM
I owned the predicessor to the 1224, the 1018 (with the bed extension) and it was a wonderful machine. Smoooooooooooooth. Heavy. (and heavier with another 300 lbs of play sand in the base... ;) ) Great machine.

That all said, you have to consider the cost vs capacity. The venerable PM 3520B is not that much more money in the scheme of things and had significantly more capacity, more weight and is nearly as smooth to turn on. But if your needs don't exceed the 12" swing of the OneWay 1224, it's worthy of your consideration. Incredibly well made.

Greg Savage
05-21-2006, 9:50 AM
The only 'bad' thing about the Oneway is the steel tube. because it isn't cast iron (which does a much better job of dampening vibration), occasionally, the wood, and the steel will harmonize and you get a resonating howl, not too loud, but annoying if you aren't used to it. A minor thing.
robo hippy

HUH?????? It is too early for a physics lesson. Can you say..."Harmonic vibration"? (Yeah, I know it is a Mr. Rogers line, ....But I knew Fred and I also talk to Mr. McFeely (David) regularly.)

But seriously, The tube design of the Oneway was employed to eliminate torsion of the frame and bed.