PDA

View Full Version : Did I help it or hurt it?

Chris DiCiaccio
05-20-2006, 2:05 PM
Should I leave the finial or lose the finial? What do you think? My first skinny finial. Didn't have any other contrasting wood to use for the finial.
Thanks guys.

Joe Fisher
05-20-2006, 3:24 PM
I don't think that finial works with that piece. The base of the finial is too chunky, and it's a little too busy for the clean lines of the hollow form. The form itself is beautiful.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

-Joe

Keith Burns
05-20-2006, 5:16 PM
Chris, IMHO on this piece I would lose the finial.

George Conklin
05-20-2006, 5:20 PM
I think it's a good looking finial, but I think the piece doesn't need it.:)

Edited to add: Like I'm some sort of art critic to be giving advise. Sheesh

Brad Hart
05-20-2006, 5:20 PM
I don't care for the finial, but the question is do you like the way the finial looks on it? The finial is not an all out waste though, even if you don't like it It could be fit into another piece of contrasting wood with a small base modification, something dark or red.

Frank Chaffee
05-20-2006, 7:31 PM
Chris,
I like the finial on that form a lot!

I find it to be complementary to the roundedness of the HF.

I imagined a finial in a contrasting tone, and frankly I like how this one continues the color of the sapwood upwards.

A good experiment on your part, concluding with very serendipitous results.

Frank

P.S. Chris, with this piece, you could still try a contrasting wood for the finial. Perhaps matching the tone of the heartwood? Change the finial with the seasons?

Frank

Corey Hallagan
05-20-2006, 7:53 PM
Chris, I think it is a great looking finial, but I like the piece without it myself.

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
05-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Looks great to me Chris. I like the form.

Rich Stewart
05-21-2006, 1:07 AM
That would make a beautiful chess piece. Maybe a bishop. I don't think it goes well with this piece either. Really nice shape to that hollow form though. Nice job.

Blake McCully
05-21-2006, 6:41 AM
Chris,
I agree with most of the posts. Since we didn't see your wessel without the finial, it's hard to decide. The finial currently on it is nice, however, I don't think the wood matches your form, it seems to distract from the overall appearance.

I'd put that finial aside to be used on something else and get some ebony to make a finial. I think ebony would be great. Not sure what the size of the opening is, but you could get a 1" pen blank and make a finial with that. I've done that a number of times. And since you aren't drilling it out or anything, you shouldn't have any problem with the ever present ebony split.

Just my two cents.

John Hart
05-21-2006, 7:53 AM
My first impression was that the finial itself is very nice...but belongs on with something darker...perhaps walnut. Maybe set it aside for another project and turn another one from darker wood for this piece. Nice form on both!!!:)