PDA

View Full Version : Whutz Up.

John Hart
05-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Hey ya'll!
Got a few PMs asking if I'm ok.... cuz I haven't been around much on the Creek lately. Just wanted to give a quick update before I git back at it. New house stuff is becoming a tad overwhelming these days. Our loan paperwork is nearly done and I've placed my order for the Electric Company to install the transformer that will feed the house. We've been packing boxes for a couple weeks and moving everything out to the garage...waiting for a go-ahead to start transferring stuff.
The woodshop is non-functional right now...except the lathe!!:D I need to keep that working in case I have an emergency bowl to make or something.:rolleyes:
In about an hour, I have to go out to the new property and measure everything in sight so I can start designing the electrical system. I have three buildings to power and I want to do it right. The Electric Company and the County Inspector have been very generous with their free advice so this ought to go well.
Anyway....just wanted to let you know. It's a little premature to start giving "New House Updates" but this is just a mini-update. I'll take some pics today too.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-20-2006, 11:53 AM
We know you're busy John! But we still miss your wit and wisdom! I'll keep you in my thoughts as you take on this endeavor!

George Conklin
05-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Glad your okay. That's exciting news about the new shop and house of course:D .
Keep us updated

Corey Hallagan
05-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Can't wait to see that shop building all set up. If I remember it was a biggun that would look perfect with a big old Green, Yellow or Mayo colored machine in it!

Corey

Andy Hoyt
05-20-2006, 12:07 PM
John - While you're in the design mode, ya might want to consider this.
My bedroom only requires three 220 outlets.
Jim Dunn's outhouse can only be wired with gray cable.
Ken Fitz's room requires headroom for the diving board and one 110 outlet.
Frank Chaffee's office needs three inline wireless ports and a dedicated T1 line to Wikipedia.
Dale Thompson's study needs low voltage lighting for his granny panty lingerie armoire.
Jim Ketron's studio doesn't need juice, but does need a gas pump (with cheap gas) for his chainsaws.
Lee DeRaud's needs a six phase photon accelerator port for his laserizing Rikon.
And most importantly - The bedrooms for Mark Cothren, Dennis Peacock, Cecil Arnold, Travis Stinson, Gary Max, Ernie Nyvall, George Conklin, Joe Breid, Pete Jordan, and 47 others should be painted a nice mayo white with one 110 outlet with a 5 amp breaker

John Miliunas
05-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Great hearing from you, John! I think that the vast majority of us know what it's like when taking on a big move and you have the added weight of the electrical planning, new shop planning, which "Big Boy" lathe to buy, taking those classes on horse grooming and stuff like that...... :D :D :D Hope it all goes well for you, my friend!!! (BTW, I'm finally attacking that nice Buckeye burl I got from you way back when!!! :) ) :cool:

George Conklin
05-20-2006, 12:18 PM

And most importantly - The bedrooms for Mark Cothren, Dennis Peacock, Cecil Arnold, Travis Stinson, Gary Max, Ernie Nyvall, George Conklin, Joe Breid, Pete Jordan, and 47 others should be painted a nice mayo white with one 110 outlet with a 5 amp breaker

Were not feeling the love, Andy;)

John Miliunas
05-20-2006, 12:26 PM

Jim Dunn's outhouse can only be wired with gray cable.
Ken Fitz's room requires headroom for the diving board and one 110 outlet.
Frank Chaffee's office needs three inline wireless ports and a dedicated T1 line to Wikipedia.
Dale Thompson's study needs low voltage lighting for his granny panty lingerie armoire.
Jim Ketron's studio doesn't need juice, but does need a gas pump (with cheap gas) for his chainsaws.
Lee DeRaud's needs a six phase photon accelerator port for his laserizing Rikon.

Whew!!! :eek: I lucked out on this one!!! :D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-20-2006, 12:30 PM
This is Ken in Idaho........just looking down.....shaking his head!

Travis Stinson
05-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Andy, as long as there's 3 lathes of any color plugged into those 220 outlets and you don't mind staying in the horse barn.:p

John Hart
05-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Andy's Room?

No Problem!! 220....three outlets. You got it. There will be an odor at first...But that usually goes away after a while.;)

Lee DeRaud
05-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Lee DeRaud's needs a six phase photon accelerator port for his laserizing Rikon.And a window with a clear field-of-fire toward the wood-storage building...or Andy's room, whichever is easier. :D :eek:

Andy Hoyt
05-20-2006, 1:23 PM
Andy's Room?
38891 No Problem!! 220....three outlets. You got it. There will be an odor at first...But that usually goes away after a while.;) That's okay - I'll just replace the odor with my own:eek:

And a window with a clear field-of-fire toward the wood-storage building...or Andy's room, whichever is easier. :D :eek: Incoming!:confused:

Andy, as long as there's 3 lathes of any color plugged into those 220 outlets and you don't mind staying in the horse barn. Looks as though that's the plan!:D

John Hart
05-20-2006, 8:14 PM
Ok...well...it was a pretty nice day out there today. Got all my measurements done and it looks like I'll have no problem with a 200 Amp feed using 4awg wire. I was concerned about the distance from the transformer at the road...but it's 275 feet and that only represents about a 1-2 volt drop from 220 at maximum current over that length. Sounds good to me!!!:) I'll be ordering my wire next week I reckon.:D

I took a bunch of pictures

Ah...a peaceful life! :)

From left to right - House, Maple Tree, Andy's Room, Woodshop

A shot of the woodshop

This is the Diesel engine that drives the compressor and the pulley system under the floor of the woodshop. All his major machines TS, Planer, Jointer, and BS are all driven by this pulley system. I'm keeping the engine for pneumatics and an emergency generator.

This is the view coming up the driveway, viewing the two houses. I'll be joining the two houses into one with a walkthru atrium.

Andy Hoyt
05-20-2006, 8:23 PM
Proximal to the swingset. Far out!

Corey Hallagan
05-20-2006, 8:41 PM
Wow John, what a beautiful property and what a nice life you will have with your family. The girls will love it there. You deserve it John.... man what a shop building!

Corey

John Miliunas
05-20-2006, 9:14 PM
[/quote]
From left to right - House, Maple Tree, Andy's Room, Woodshop
38952 [/quote]

Bwaaaaa,haaaaa,haaaaa,haaaaaa....Kinda' brings a whole new meaning to the term, "Room & Board", don't it??? :D Hey John, you gonna' give him a cot in a stall, next to the horses or put him up in the Penthouse??? :D

This is the Diesel engine that drives the compressor and the pulley system under the floor of the woodshop. 38954 [/quote]

Hey, maybe leave the compressor there and rig up a generator in addition? Heck, if the power goes out, you can continue working and, do some spraying at the same time!!! :D

[/quote]This is the view coming up the driveway, viewing the two houses. I'll be joining the two houses into one with a walkthru atrium.
38955 [/quote]

Man, that is some outfit, awright!!! I'd be lying if I didn't admit to being envious! Super place, my friend! :) :cool:

Frank Chaffee
05-20-2006, 9:49 PM
Wow John,
All that and a house too!???

I am happy for you guy.

Best wishes,
Frank

Bernie Weishapl
05-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Gosh John I am sure Andy will adapt with the horses. :D Leave the diesel engine on the air compressor.

John I am happy for you. You definately have a nice place for you and your family. You have a shop that most of us would die for. Enjoy.

Rich Stewart
05-21-2006, 1:15 AM
You make a bunch of bowl blanks out of them trees out front already? Seems like stumps out front are only natural for a wood turners house. Beautiful house and property John. I'm seriously jealous.

John Hart
05-21-2006, 7:05 AM
Thanks guys...

Yep the air compressor stays and the generator already has a pulley...I just need to pick out the right one and mount it. The compressor charges up a 1000 gal tank that has been used to supply air pressure for the water pump for the house and all the pneumatics in the shop. Since I'll be putting in an electric pump, all the air will now be soley for the shop.

Speaking of stumps....Do you think those stumps have any turning value below ground? We've already decided that they are getting dug up. I'm just wondering if the roots are any good after 2 years. Hmmm:rolleyes:

As far as Andy's room....Now that gives me an idea....I could put him in the penthouse with his three 220V outlets and he could serve as resident stable boy!!!!:D (Under the watchful eye of Lee DeRaud and his peacemaker of course);)

Jim Dunn
05-21-2006, 7:38 AM
John glad to here the new house is comming along. Oh, and by the way, I need a magazine rack in the little house and a can of air-freshener.(just in case Andy visits before me:)

Ernie Nyvall
05-21-2006, 9:01 AM
I kinda figured that. Seems like you'd mentioned it coming up soon. Good luck with it all John. Looks like you have a wonderful place out there.

Ernie

Steve Ash
05-21-2006, 11:10 AM
John, I looked at the pictures earlier this morning. Looks like a very nice place. Is it still near where you currently live? The second house....a in-law house later down the raod?

John Hart
05-21-2006, 11:24 AM
John, I looked at the pictures earlier this morning. Looks like a very nice place. Is it still near where you currently live? The second house....a in-law house later down the raod?

This place is about 50 miles from where we currently live, but only adds 10 minutes to my work commute...I'll take an extra 10 minutes in the country any day.:)

That second house is the subject of pretty lively debate. We are joining the two houses with an atrium and I like the idea of it being a den/library sort of thing...keeping the two bedrooms as bedrooms for guests. My wife would like to keep the kitchen intact as well. Plus...it has a fairly sizeable workshop. Pretty fun debate.:)

Doug Thompson
05-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Nice place John... the shop is huge. It might be a job to run all the wire but in the end well worth it.

The stumps might provide some interesting turning wood. Power wash to remove the dirt and watch for stones.

Hope everything goes well,
Doug

Jim Ketron
05-21-2006, 11:41 AM
Awesome place John! Keep us updated;)

Andy Hoyt
05-21-2006, 11:49 AM
I cast my vote for timberframing the atrium. Would make a splendid connector between the two structures as well as adding visual appeal in it's own right. You're located in a nice hotbed of the TF community so timbers will be easy to source and I "know" a guy who would be glad to help.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2006, 12:23 PM
The guy is probably wanting to work of some rent John! Beware, however, the cost to keep him in ice cream could be financially devastating!:D

John Miliunas
05-21-2006, 12:35 PM
The guy is probably wanting to work of some rent John! Beware, however, the cost to keep him in ice cream could be financially devastating!:D

Yeah, talk softly and carry a big bonker!!!:D :D :D :cool:

David Fried
05-21-2006, 12:53 PM
I think the atrium connector, with a few skylights, could make a nice gallery space for displaying your fine work.

That's quite spread you've got now!

Mike Ramsey
05-22-2006, 10:11 AM
That is one beautiful homestead! Do you get to keep the buggy?
Make sure you order 4/0 wire & not #4 awg, big difference.

John Hart
05-22-2006, 1:22 PM
That is one beautiful homestead! Do you get to keep the buggy?
Make sure you order 4/0 wire & not #4 awg, big difference.

Nope. Ain't that a shame? I would really like to have a buggy. Maybe I can build one though.....and pull it with a tractor or something.;)

Funny thing about the wire....I called and placed an order for 4 ought wire...and was thinking 4 guage. Dopey me. But I got the right stuff ordered. (0000) Thanks Mike.

tod evans
05-22-2006, 1:24 PM
Nope. Ain't that a shame? I would really like to have a buggy. Maybe I can build one though.....and pull it with a tractor or something.;)

Funny thing about the wire....I called and placed an order for 4 ought wire...and was thinking 4 guage. Dopey me. But I got the right stuff ordered. (0000) Thanks Mike.

i don`t envy you at all john! i pulled 4 runs of 4/0 375` through 3" conduit into my building.....what a job! tod

John Hart
05-22-2006, 1:34 PM
i don`t envy you at all john! i pulled 4 runs of 4/0 375` through 3" conduit into my building.....what a job! tod

Thanks Tod....I was a bit worried about that m'self. Fortunately, I talked to the inspector and the only place I need conduit is a ten foot length under the driveway. The rest of it is just laid in the trench. This is gonna be my first experience with a DitchWitch too. This whole thing is going to be filled with new experiences.:)

Keith Burns
05-22-2006, 2:02 PM
...keeping the two bedrooms as bedrooms for guests. :)

John, I would be glad to take one of your guest rooms for a day or two.........ah, heck for a year or two !:D :eek: :rolleyes:

Ed Scolforo
05-22-2006, 2:15 PM
John, awesome place and alot to look forward to. Looks like you'll be busier than a one-eyed cat in a fish market!
Ed

John Hart
05-23-2006, 6:14 AM
John, awesome place and alot to look forward to. Looks like you'll be busier than a one-eyed cat in a fish market!
Ed

And more nervous than a cat in a room full of rocking chairs!!!