PDA

View Full Version : DuaL Monitors for you PC?

Rich Konopka
05-20-2006, 10:45 AM
I am looking into the use of dual monitors for my home office setup. I continually find my self opening closing and searching. I probably need to get a new graphics card and another LCD.

What should I look for from a graphics card perspective? ( I use Sketchup, firefox, outlook, vmware) what recommendations do you have? Are dualies worth the expense?

Thanks in advance

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-20-2006, 11:51 AM
I can't speak to cost, but have them at work. I HATED them at first, but once you get used to it, it would be hard to go back. My desktop at home is in the closet...I'm just using my laptop. When I get another desktop, I'll probably look into the dual setup.

KC

rick fulton
05-20-2006, 2:50 PM
Rich -

With Windows 2000 or XP just install a second video card in a free slot in your computer. It is much cheaper to buy a second card (or even two cards) than to buy a dual monitor card.

I have three video cards in my home system. Using Windows 2000 display properties settings you can get the cards to work together seamlessly. I can drag anything between monitors, and/or open apps on any of the monitors.

Attached are a few examples of the settings and the interconnectivity. The attached photo of an Iowa skyline background does not do justice to the 4800x1200 pixel image I see on my desktop.

Rick

Chet Parks
05-20-2006, 8:34 PM
Or , you could just get a MAC. They support two monitors right out of the box.

Chet Parks

Rich Konopka
05-20-2006, 9:24 PM
Rich -

With Windows 2000 or XP just install a second video card in a free slot in your computer. It is much cheaper to buy a second card (or even two cards) than to buy a dual monitor card.

I have three video cards in my home system. Using Windows 2000 display properties settings you can get the cards to work together seamlessly. I can drag anything between monitors, and/or open apps on any of the monitors.

Attached are a few examples of the settings and the interconnectivity. The attached photo of an Iowa skyline background does not do justice to the 4800x1200 pixel image I see on my desktop.

Rick

Rick,

That is awesome. I never thought that I could have multiple cards ... duhhhhh I see the ad's for dual cards all the time for those nice gaming rigs. So how do you have a specific app open on one of the screen?

Thanks
Rich

rick fulton
05-20-2006, 9:59 PM
Rich –

Most apps remember which screen it was in the last time it was closed. With Sketchup and other CAD programs (Viewdraw - electrical schematic capture), I run the main screen in one window, and all the toolbars are in another. They open that way every time now. I often use the third screen to download or view pdf data sheets, app notes, or tutorials.

rick

Vaughn McMillan
05-21-2006, 5:24 AM
I run dual monitors at work and at home. In my case, I have dual-monitor cards, since both systems were put together from the beginning with the intent to be dual head machines. In the case of my home system, as I recall the card for dual monitors was not much more expensive than a single monitor card.

That said, based on Rick's expecience it sounds like adding a second card would be more economical if you have the spare PCI slot available. (I don't because of other extra cards I'm running for audio and disk controllers.)

Either way you go, you're gonna love having dual monitors. To add to Rick's answer about having an application display on a particular monitor...I'm not sure if you know this, but you can drag a window from one screen to the other as if the two monitors were one large screen (with a bit of a crack in the middle). I've actually got three monitors on my home desk, but the third monitor switches between being the single monitor for my second computer (mainly a test machine) or for the wireless TV feed coming from my TiVo in the living room.

- Vaughn

Rich Konopka
05-21-2006, 3:06 PM
Wow, You guys really got me tinking :D

I can have vmware with Linux on one screen, Outlook on another, and UFC on another??? ;)

Thanks for the info. I let you know what I come up with. I'm going to keep an eye out for some bargains on newegg.

Thanks