PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at hollowing

Tony Sizemore
05-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Well I can’t say I did it the correct way but I did it. It wasn’t easy with the lack of a steadier so it jumper and vibrated a little :D and I only have a straight necked hollowing tool so getting to the widest part was fun, but I am not complaining. I am happy with my first one you guys do just pretty work that I just had to try. It’s a piece of Cherry that I got a while back with Leopard wood and a piece of black veneer. Its 8 inches tall and 4 ½ wide at the widest point. I still have a few more coats before I’m done but I couldn’t wait any longer.
As I was do this yesterday I remembered something. You know how when you get the shavings flying you loose all track of time? Will I have too. I remember that this month is an anniversary for me. I will have past the 1 year mark. I can’t believe it been a year already. I want to say a little thank you to all of you. You all add some much to us new turners, I hope you all understand that. Even if we all don’t see eye to eye all the time the discussion is what we learn from.
I hope you get to make some shavings this weekend!

tod evans
05-20-2006, 10:46 AM
nice job tony!

Bernie Weishapl
05-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Tony that is a beautiful job for the first one. I like it. Great job. Tony you are so right. I have learned so much off this forum. Wonderful, knowledgable people that are willing to help and give.

Jim Ketron
05-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Looking good!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Tony............Excellent 1st hollowform!...............and you are right.........Neat bunch here...........generous in many ways!

Barry Stratton
05-20-2006, 11:22 AM
You definitely found what was in that beautiful hunk of wood. Great job.

Mark Cothren
05-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Great job, Tony!

John Miliunas
05-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Tony, I can only hope my first HF will look even a fraction as nice as yours!!! :D Good job and keep it up! :) :cool:

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Hey that is really good looking, and has a built in hole to let the shavings out!!

Cheers!

Corey Hallagan
05-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Looking good Tony, I like the piece.

Corey

Joe Fisher
05-20-2006, 12:10 PM
I hate to be the one to have to tell you this, Tony...there's a hole in the side of your vase.

:)

Great work!! I love it. The top reminds me of a duck's collar for some reason.

-Joe

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-20-2006, 1:46 PM
Tony, that is an absolutely fabulous piece. The form and heartwood/sapwood pattern remind me a great deal of a torso sculpture, and the upper ring makes it look even moreso. IMHO, you have truly brought out the best in that wood.

Keith Christopher
05-20-2006, 2:59 PM
love how you all keep saying attempt ! Looking nice ! Haven't had much spinny time, too many flatwork projects. However I will be placing an order for my Oneway sometime next week so I'll HAVE to break that in !

Chris DiCiaccio
05-20-2006, 4:22 PM
That looks great! Great job.

John Miliunas
05-20-2006, 4:26 PM
However I will be placing an order for my Oneway sometime next week so I'll HAVE to break that in !

BUSTED!!!! :eek: Hey Keith, this sounds like a stealth gloat, my friend!!! OK, not that the cat's outta' the bag, we need details!!! :D Yeah, we'll be expecting pics when it hits your shop but, in the meantime, we need something to chew on!!! Come on...Give it up! :) :cool:

Keith Burns
05-20-2006, 4:56 PM
Great first HF Tony, keep them coming !

Ernie Nyvall
05-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Really nice Tony.

Ernie