PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Spirits wipe?

Tim Clark
05-19-2006, 6:17 PM
Sorry if this has been covered before, but...

I'm getting ready to finish a Red Oak blanket chest. I don't have any tac-rags and want to get going this weekend. Can I wipe it down with mineral spirits instead without raising the grain or causing some other finishing problems?

I want to finish it with multi coats of tung oil and MAYBE clear gloss poly as the top coat.

Thanks,

John Miliunas
05-19-2006, 6:50 PM
MS should work just fine, Tim. With Oak being the open grain it is, make sure you only wipe in the direction of the grain to avoid leaving residue. Also, good idea to use a clean edge of the rag with each swipe. For Oak, I usually hit it with the vacuum first to pull garbage out of the grain before wiping. :) :cool:

Jim Becker
05-19-2006, 9:35 PM
Tack rags are often a "no-no"...they can actually hurt rather than help if they happen to leave a residue behind. I always wipe down with mineral spirits on a lint-free towel...including between grits to help reduce the chance of scratching from a stray piece of grit from the coarser paper used in the previous step.

Tim Clark
05-19-2006, 9:58 PM
Thanks guys.

I actually thought of the vac job earlier today and will do that tomorrow after I finish sanding the top (forgot to do the edges).

Some MS and a clean lint free cloth it is.

I know I can always get the help I need here at the Creek.

I'll be sure to post some pics when it's done.

Thanks again

Ralph Barhorst
05-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Make sure that you use only Shellac on the inside of the chest. Varnish or Poly will cause the inside to have an odor forever. Shellac dries without a noticeable odor. I usually use Zinsser Bulls Eye SEAL COAT which is a 2 pound cut of dewaxed shellac. DAMHIKT :(

Tim Clark
05-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks Ralph. I'll member that one.

I got it wiped down today (squeezed in some time between honey do stuff and cleaning up the shop). I'll start applying the tung oil tomorrow or Monday. With any luck I can find the support brackets locally that I want for it and present it by next weekend.

Then I'll start cleaning up a bunch of salvaged Oak I got free (and loads more where that came from) and begin my new work bench, 2" oak top, cabinet below, front vise, twin screw end vise, dogs, the works. Gloat with pics (oh, I forgot, the pic cop got busted :D ) upon completion.