PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Band Saw Tires?

glenn bradley
05-19-2006, 3:11 PM
If some knuckle-head cut some high density foam on his bandsaw and got goo all over the tires, how would you get it off?

Mike Wenzloff
05-19-2006, 3:15 PM
I would probably try Acetone.

Mike
who cuts brass a lot--try getting that out of BS tires...

Loren Hedahl
05-19-2006, 3:24 PM
What are you trying to get off? The knuckle off the head or the foam goo off the tires?

Who knows, maybe a little foam goo on the tires wouldn't hurt a thing. Just might give better traction.

I would likely start by just scraping as much off as possible. Then I would try whatever I had -- turpentine, painters thinner, lacquer thinner etc. You might even find that some waterless hand cleaner would be just the ticket.

tod evans
05-19-2006, 3:29 PM
glenn, i`d be very leary about putting thinners on bandsaw tires! try scraping or sanding the mess first. if that doesnt work find out the composition of your tires before using chemicals..02 tod

lou sansone
05-19-2006, 5:20 PM
I agree with tod.. Acetone is pretty strong and can damage some materials. You could use simple green or mineral spirits to try. You can also use 100 grit sandpaper

lou

Tony Ward
05-19-2006, 5:26 PM
I'd use 0000 steel wool, moistened with some MS if necessary.

Jesse Cloud
05-19-2006, 6:41 PM
;) Can't remember where I read this, but the story goes that the Danish-American woodworker Tage Frid had his workshop next to his house. His apprentice remembered one day when Tage answered the phone and had what sounded like an argument in Danish. He slammed down the phone and blustered out the door.

He came back a few minutes later with a frozen pork roast and used his bandsaw to cut it into pork chops.:eek: Which he promptly delivered back to the house.

I wonder what he (or more likely the apprentice) used to clean up after that??