PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat

Don Baer
05-19-2006, 2:08 PM
I was driving around today and found a house that was bing remodeled and in the driveway was several pallets of wood from a Eucalyptus tree they had cut down. I asked one of the workers if they cared is I took some. This is a picture of what I grabbed .

the big one is 16" diameter. the longest one is 6"x35" and the smaller one is 7" by 21". The wood is very dry and may not be usable but I'll cut some up on the bandsaw tonight and see. If it's usable I'll go back and get more as there are several pieces that are like the 16" one but are a lot taller. If I can't use it for turning it'll make good firewood. I guess I need to look at gettng a Chainsaw and some anchorseal...:D

Vaughn, Lee and other So Cal turners I may have some turning stock for ya if you want it.

Lee DeRaud
05-19-2006, 2:14 PM
There's probably a couple of natural-edge bowls hiding in that 7"x21" chunk if it doesn't check too bad. Better get some sealer on the ends though.

Thanks for the offer...lemme know if it looks ok after you cut it up.

Don Baer
05-19-2006, 2:35 PM
I just cut up the two limbs and the wood in the smaller diameter looks great. The 7" dia one has signs that the Eucalyptus beetle had been there so that explains why the tree was taken down. I'm off to get some green wood sealer and load up the truck..:D Anybody got a chainsaw I can borrow ?

Christopher K. Hartley
05-19-2006, 3:54 PM
Don, I think you have a great haul and Gloat. Congrats!

Don Baer
05-19-2006, 4:01 PM
I made a second trip.

there are 3 pieces about 18-19" dia and 16" high and a limb that is 5"x35" long with a 3" dia bonker on the end about 8" long. I know what I'll be doing tomarrow. Theres a lot more wood there and I may make another trip tomarrow if LOML doesn't commit me before I have a chance...:D
There one crotch there that is about 3 ft tall and about 15" dia that I'd like to get but it was to big to load alone.

Corey Hallagan
05-19-2006, 5:15 PM
Cool Don, looking forward to seeing what project pops out of that stuff!

Corey

George Conklin
05-19-2006, 5:39 PM
You're gonna need a bigger lathe:D

Makes me think of the Jaws movie when Brody first sees the shark:eek: .

Don Baer
05-19-2006, 5:45 PM
You're gonna need a bigger lathe:D

Don't think that thought hasn't gone through my mind..:)

I don't think the little Rikon would know what to do with some of that stuff.

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Don what a wood gloat. You are really looking at loading that Rikon up.:eek:

Jim Ketron
05-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Congrats!
The shop will smell great when turning that wood!

Don Baer
05-20-2006, 12:19 AM
I borrowed my neighbors chain saw tonight. It's only go a 12" bar so I'm gonna be a bit busy making it work. I guess I'd better ad a BIG chain saw to my short list....;)

Ernie Nyvall
05-20-2006, 5:02 PM
Great haul Don. Eucalyptus is nice wood.

Ernie

Don Baer
05-20-2006, 8:48 PM
Just an update.
I preped the logs and sealed the ends.

I tried my neighbors chainsaw on the stumps but I think he's been cutting cement with it so that will gave to waite. (I think theres a chain saw in my future)..:D Does anyone have an opinion about the Paulin Chainsaw. I see that the Orange Borg has an 18" one for $139.00. I will not be using the saw a lot just for preping turning stock.

I also chuked up a piece to see how green it was. This stuff is gonna take a while (like a year) to get dried out but it sure was fun making some noodles. (Noodels pix is for STU's benefit)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-20-2006, 9:40 PM
.................I also chucked up a piece to see how green it was. This stuff is gonna take a while (like a year) to get dried out but it sure was fun making some noodles. (Noodles pix is for STU's benefit)

Mmmmmm....noodles...... :D

Stay away from the BORG saws, got to a "REAL" chainsaw shop, and see what they have for trade-ins/used units on the shelf.

You really do not need that big a saw.........

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/jackpot/jan_10th/little_makita_that_could.jpg
12" bar on a $70 Makita electric, not something I'd want to do all day but.....

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/jackpot/feb9th/bigum_but.jpg
Little bigger electric.

Don't discount the electric units, the smaller ones will run on a converter installed in your truck, and they have real power, they are NOT noisy, and I hear from some chainsaw dealer guys that the bigger used ones don't fly off the shelves, thus they can be had for a song.

Just a thought.

Cheers!

Ernie Nyvall
05-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Does anyone have an opinion about the Paulin Chainsaw?

Yes.:D

Ernie

Kurt Rosenzweig
05-25-2006, 4:30 PM
There is a reason why they are named poulin/pulling. I don't know you buget but I'd stick with Stihl or Huskey. I hear Echo isn't a bad saw either. Good luck!