PDA

View Full Version : fixing a polycryilc mistake

Craig Zettle
05-19-2006, 9:37 AM
I painted a poplar bookcase with latex interior paint, then went over top with minwax polycrylic. I sprayed both, and the end result was rough, even with light sanding between coats. I sanded agressively and have spots where the I took the paint down to the undercoat. My question is: do I need to completely strip the topcoat and paint off and start over, or can I spray a little latex to cover the light spots and try the polycrylic again?

John Miliunas
05-19-2006, 9:44 AM
Craig, just a WAG on my part but, I think what may have happened is, both finishes you're using are water-based and it raised the grain. Personally, and this is just MHO, I would sand her back down smooth and hit the whole thing with a coat of shellac to seal it all up. Then proceed with the water-based solutions. I think that, trying to blend it all in otherwise, may end up being as labor-intense as just going back and sanding it back down. Seeing as to how you sprayed it, there may not be a real heavy build on it, so sanding might not be as big a chore as it would've been had you brushed or rolled it on. Just my .02. :) :cool:

Steve Schoene
05-19-2006, 1:00 PM
John may have the best idea. If you have cut through to bare wood then you will raise the grain again and continue to have roughness problems.

If you haven't cut through to wood, you should be able to coat with a color coat and then return to clear top coat. . But don't try to spray only the cut-through places, you need to coat the entire surface.