PDA

View Full Version : Doublebacked tape

Rick Hubbard
05-19-2006, 8:16 AM
Does anyone have a recommendation (and on-line source) for a good double-backed tape that is easy to use (meaning that it is possible to peel off the backing without any trouble)?

I've avoided using such products cuz the only kind I can find locally is the kind used for carpet installation and it is a real DRAG to use. The backing NEVER comes off cleanly even if I can manage to get it started in the first place.

Thanks

Edward E Wilson Jr
05-19-2006, 8:35 AM
In turning, I have used a doublesided tape that I purchased at Woodcraft for that purpose. The backing seems to come off easy. The Rockler store in Portland may have the same thing.

Rick Hubbard
05-19-2006, 8:40 AM
Thanks Ed-

I was aware of those 2 products but I was really unsure whether I would have the same problem or not. Sounds like "Not" cuz if you were using stuff anything like I've tried I'm sure you would NOT have said it seems to come off ok.

tod evans
05-19-2006, 8:50 AM
rick, search out 3-m products locally, they`re the adhesive experts..02 tod

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-19-2006, 8:56 AM
3M is the only brand I trust to purchase sight unseen.
I've used plenty over the years. Foam core is the bomb. The stuff they use to attach auto trim is great.

John Miliunas
05-19-2006, 9:00 AM
Rick, I'll second what Ed recommends! I've purchased the same from Woodcraft and Price Cutter, with great success. I'd venture to say that the one from Rockler will probably be similar. :) :cool:

fred woltersdorf
05-19-2006, 9:55 AM
there is a double sided reversable tape made for posting pictures that can be obtained in drug stores like cvs,rite aid,etc, although it may not be thick enough for your needs.just a thought.

Duan Packard
05-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Look for the cloth double face tape. I have had good luck with the 1 1/2 inch stuff from Ace hardware that is cloth. Look at the tape and peel a little back and it will look like duct tape. The paper tape is the pits.

Duan

Thomas Canfield
05-19-2006, 10:30 PM
You can also try the double stick carpet tape for a lot of applications. What I have now is some "duck" brand that is cheap and available at Wal-Mart and similar stores. I have used it for attaching a pattern to wood and plastics for router use. It can be hard to separate, and you need to try out the joint first. A small 1/2" or so width of the tape (about 1 1/2" wide) spaced properly will hold a lot. I have not tried it for turning.

Bruce Wrenn
05-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Rick. I too had problems getting the backing off double stick tape. I have a roll of carpet tape (Duck brand) that has lasted me for ten+ years. It was always a pain to use, until I remembered a secret. When trying to seperate the backing by starting at the ends, I ALWAYS ended up with a mess. Those peel off name tags have a slit in the backing diagonnally across the backing. First, I apply tape to one surface. Then, taking my utility knife, I slit the backing diagonnally in center ot piece of tape. This leaves two points on the backing which are easy to get a fingernail or knife under. Later, I learned to only slit diagonnally part way across the tape. Now I can lift point of backing and peel the whole piece off in one motion.

Dan Owen
05-20-2006, 12:22 AM
Rick,
If you need double sided tape, email me at owen_djo@bresnan.net. I sell it for 7.99/roll and will last you forever. I have a golf shop and we use tons of it for regripping. I use it for my woodworking, and it works great.

Alan Turner
05-20-2006, 5:54 AM
I have an acquaintance who has a business which makes double back for the auto trim industry, and it is pretty cool. He thoguht he owed me a favor, although I didn't.

He sent me a "sample" that is a roll 12" wide. I can't imagine I will ever use it all. If you can find one of these companies, you might find they would be glad to sell you a roll end or some such thing. Some of this stuff is 3' wide, or wider.

The pricing on the narrow stuff is quite high, given the production costs, IMHO.

Tim Morton
05-20-2006, 6:55 AM
how strong does it need to be? I use several 3m tapes for different uses, and they all perform well. But If I know what you are looking to have it do, I can maybe suggest one for you.

Ellen Benkin
05-20-2006, 12:59 PM
The Woodcraft stuff works great and doesn't tear up the wood. I can't imagine doing woodworking without it. I've tried carpet tape and it doesn't seem to work as well. One roll will last a very long time.