PDA

View Full Version : B/E Maple frame

Steve Ash
05-19-2006, 8:09 AM
This Birdseye maple picture frame is pretty basic but the story behind it is worth telling...

My friend Bruce in the back row with a beard owns a logging operation where I used to live and they bought a sawmill a few years ago to go along with the logging. So last fall when I went up to pick up the material to build my sons kitchen he gave me a stick of birdseye maple and asked me to build something he could look at.

Bruce and I were dive partners on the local sheriff underwater search and rescue team and know each other like brothers and are always teasing each other about something, so....I at first thought I'd make a Chevy bowtie out of the stick of B/E and put a mirror in it. That way I made him something he could look at. Did I mention he and I have a strong rivalry between Chevy and Ford? A Chevy bowtie mirror would be of no use to him.

Sadly last fall Bruce's father Carroll passed away just before hunting season, I decided that there could be no other use for that stick of B/E except to make this picture frame. I asked Bruce's wife to help me out and find a picture of Carroll (without Bruce knowing) so I could put this frame together complete with picture. It was a bonus that she had one of Bruce with his dad Carroll and son Perry all together.

Bruce is coming for a visit this Sunday, I think he is in for a surprise.

Jim Dunn
05-19-2006, 8:14 AM
Nice Steve. Is that some of the birdseye you turned that bowl from?

Roy Wall
05-19-2006, 8:15 AM
Steve,

That's a terrific gift!!! One your friend will certainly cherish....

It's a great looking frame......but the work behind it is what really counts.

Great idea.....a tuff one.......but you've done well. Thanks for sharing..

Steve Ash
05-19-2006, 8:17 AM
Nice Steve. Is that some of the birdseye you turned that bowl from?

No Jim, but both pieces are originally from Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The bowl I turned was from a fellow creeker...Paul Downes.

John Miliunas
05-19-2006, 9:05 AM
Steve, I think you're hitting that one right out of the park! :D What an absolutely wonderful gesture and you done real nice on the frame, as well. BE Maple is one of my most favorite woods to use and seems to enhance most any project. Yours is certainly no exception. :) Good job my friend. Let us know what the final reaction from your buddy is! :) :cool:

Mark Patoka
05-19-2006, 9:34 AM
Very nice frame along with a very touching and thoughtful gesture. Friends indeed.

Lars Thomas
05-19-2006, 9:49 AM
Steve, great looking frame - even better story. 3 generations together is tough to find. Lars

Jason Tuinstra
05-19-2006, 9:51 AM
Steve, great story and gift. I'm sure it will be cherished for years to come. Great idea.

Jim Becker
05-19-2006, 10:04 AM
Beautiful job and reason!

Steve Clardy
05-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Very nice gift.

Greg Koch
05-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Steve,

I doubt there is any better gift you could give your friend..... Just very nice.

Martin Shupe
05-19-2006, 4:27 PM
Steve,

Very thoughtful of you. It will be cherished for years to come, by both him, and, later, his son.

Doyle Alley
05-19-2006, 4:37 PM
That is something he'll be proud to hang on his wall - both as a remembrance of his dad and as a remembrance of your friendship.

Bruce Page
05-19-2006, 5:55 PM
Steve, that's a beautiful frame but please 'splain to me, how you made that on the Oliver?

Corey Hallagan
05-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Excellent idea Steve and it turned out beautiful. Nice work!

Corey

Helen Gee
05-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Hi Steve, that is a beautiful and thoughtful present!!

Larry Cooke
05-20-2006, 1:44 AM
This Birdseye maple picture frame is pretty basic but the story behind it is worth telling...Steve,

You did a great thing there, it really makes a difference when you get to know the story behind a project like this. I'm sure your friend will be very appreciative of your gift - I know I would be.

Thanks for sharing.

Larry

scott spencer
05-20-2006, 7:31 AM
That BEM is beautiful stuff! Nice tribute too.....

Steve Ash
05-20-2006, 2:07 PM
Thanks everybody for the kind comments. John, I'll be happy to post a picture of when he gets it tomorrow. I know he is going to be very surprised, I can hardly wait for him to get here.

Jay Knoll
05-20-2006, 2:16 PM
Steve

That is a wonderful job and an even greater thought! Thanks for sharing

Jay