PDA

View Full Version : more clamps.. (review)

markus shaffer
09-04-2003, 12:33 AM
I've found myself doing quite a bit of work where I end up doing solid wood edging on hardwood plywoods. Recently I had a job that was pretty rushed. In looking for a way to make the labor a bit faster, I invested in a couple different tools (also see lipping planer post) that made working with hardwood edging on plywood much quicker and easier. The photos below are of some edging clamps I got. In the past, I usually got out all my K-body clamps and wrestled them all into place while struggling to keep the hardwood from moving as I tightened the clamps across the piece. Anytime I had to work with long pieces, it was out with the pipe clamps which can be a real pain to work while trying to keep them in line while also keeping the edging in place. I had looked at the Bessey edging clamps and the salesman talked me out of them. He said after looking them over and seeing them in use compared to these, he doesn't even stock the Besseys. Perhaps if someone else uses them, they can chime in here. I can say these clamps are pretty awesome. Very easy to use and very strong. I would highly recommend them to anyone who does a lot of work with edging.

-Markus

Rob Russell
09-04-2003, 8:03 AM
I'm curious - what did those clamps cost? They're definitely a single purpose clamp, but I've got some edging work coming up and don't want to be getting frustrated with cheap clamps.

Lloyd Robins
09-04-2003, 9:32 AM
Please let us know more about them. I "googled" kantenfix, and I didn't get anything in English. Where did you get them? What is the manufacturer's name? What is the price? All the good stuff.

David LaRue
09-04-2003, 10:38 AM
Please let us know more about them. I "googled" kantenfix, and I didn't get anything in English. Where did you get them? What is the manufacturer's name? What is the price? All the good stuff.

When I translate "Kantenfix" from German to English I get "edge-fixed" :rolleyes:

I didn't find them either.. :eek:

Dave

Harvey Meyer
09-04-2003, 11:12 AM
I bought a batch of these clamps from PennState Industrial. You can get them from www.pennstateind.com. Look under clamps and you'll find them. You can get a better price if you click on Web Specials, then Email specials, then scroll down to offer # E-10124. I used them a few times and they worked fine. They're not exactly the same as the ones pictured above, but these are probably cheaper. No affiliation with PSI - just a satisfied customer.
Harvey

Steve Clardy
09-04-2003, 11:14 AM
I've got 4 of the import edge clamps similar to these. If I remember they are Shop Fox brand. They work great. My only gripe about this brand is the plastic handles, but they were only 10 dollars each. If I could find some on sale, I could use a dozen more, but till then, out with the pipe clamps. Steve

Richard Allen
09-04-2003, 4:06 PM
Those look like Gross Stabil edge clamps. They are $20 or less each. Amazon has them in lots of 4 at $70.

Thanks

Rob Russell
09-04-2003, 4:52 PM
Those look like Gross Stabil edge clamps. They are $20 or less each. Amazon has them in lots of 4 at $70.

You're dead right. The "Kantenfix" name on the metal clamp part is clearly visible in the enlarged picture from the Amazon website.

Thanks for the lead.

markus shaffer
09-05-2003, 12:41 AM
I think the price Richard quoted on the Amazon website is wrong. The KF-2 and KF-4 on the Amazon website refer to different size clamps, not the quantity. That is, if we were looking at the same page. The link below is what I was looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/553160/ref=br_bx_c_1_4/104-3137051-4934303

The KF-2 is the size I have. The KF-4 has a larger jaw opening to allow for working with thicker materials. I got them from a local dealer here. Website listed below.

http://www.selectmachineryinc.com/

They were around 32 or 33 dollars each. Seems pretty close to the price of the ones on Amazon at $34.95. If there is a deal to get 4 of these at $70 bucks, please pass on that link. They are very good clamps for what they do. For those of us who missed the sale on the Jorgy clamps, that would be a nice investment. I am just about finished with the project I was using them on. Two movable wardrobe closets. One about 6'x3' and the other about 4'x3'. All of that plywood was edged with solid cherry. Also there are doors with solid cherry edging as well. The whole process went much more quickly and easily than if I had worked with my limited number of K-Body's and pipe clamps. I've seen the cheaper ones that are on the Penn State website. It's been a while, but they seemed a bit chinsy. I remember they had plastic handles and the screw just didn't tighten smoothly. I wasn't in the market for them at the time, so I didn't pay that much attention. I can see that they could work just as well though since these don't need to apply serious amounts of pressure.

-Markus

Richard Allen
09-05-2003, 9:11 AM
Good GOD $70 for a single edge clamp. I had no idea they could cost so much. I really thought the "2" designation was for a pair and the "4" designation was for four of the clamps. I must be incredably cheap!

It is great to know that the clamps work well.

Thanks