PDA

View Full Version : A little something for my wife

Jim Dunn
05-18-2006, 9:25 PM
We are currently remodeling a room as a studio for my wife. She wanted to utilize the closet space for storage. I suggested we build something that could store and be used as desktop space. Also it could be moved into the room as a large work surface. This is the first of 2 pieces that are to be built. The second will come after the summer is over.:eek::eek: (she dosn't know that part as yet)

The cabinet is qtrswn wht oak with mdf raised panels. My wife painted and then distressed the paint with sandpaper to fit her mood. I wanted something more like a leather finish and hope when I build the end panels she is more accepting of the idea.

Thanks for looking and don't tell those fellows in the turners forum I've been doing flat work:D I'll never hear the end of it:o;)

The white oak is from Tom Sontag a member here on SMC and one heck of a guy. The wood is absolutely beautiful and I hope I am doing it justice.

Corey Hallagan
05-18-2006, 10:07 PM
To late Jim, your busted!! Awesome, Looks great Jim!

Corey

Andy Hoyt
05-18-2006, 10:43 PM
.... I'll never hear the end of it..... Ya got that right!

Every once in a while a flat project is acceptable, but only if it's real purpose is to keep rust off the table saw.

Nice work.

Jim Dunn
05-19-2006, 7:46 AM
Thanks for the comments. What with summer and all it's hard to find time inside what with all that needs to be done out. I did have a heck of time putting tennons on the ends of the long boards on the lathe:) Well at least the thought crossed my mind on the way out the other side.

Christopher Stahl
05-19-2006, 8:22 AM
I think it looks great. I also think it's great that your wife is helping out. I love when my wife comes down to the shop and helps out. Good bonding time. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-19-2006, 8:51 AM
Nice work Jim!

Jim Dunn
05-19-2006, 6:51 PM
I also think it's great that your wife is helping out.

Well I had to wait for about 2 weeks for her to make up her mind what she wanted to do to the panels. She practiced and practiced on scraps and finally decided she want what she got. Now she's not exactly happy with the color of the panel to the white oak:eek::eek:. We tried some different stains to help the two pieces match a little and didn't like that at all. (I wanted an oil finish as I have come to the conclusion that wood should be seen not stained).

She promised me she would do more of a leather look on the two end panels. Besides you'll never see the back unless it's pulled out from the wall for a work surface.;)

Nissim Avrahami
05-19-2006, 7:18 PM
It looks beautiful Jim

Why your story reminds me exactly my wife. She is the designer and every plan is a base for modifications, and she has many of them.

niki

Jerry Olexa
05-19-2006, 7:51 PM
Nice work Jim..You're a good hubby...Now get back to turning...:)

lou sansone
05-19-2006, 9:01 PM
looks great to me.. keep up the good work
lou

Ralph Okonieski
05-19-2006, 9:45 PM
Nice work Jim !

Tom Sontag
05-27-2006, 8:20 PM
Dang Jim that looks like mighty fine work. I kind of wish you give us a finished pciture so we can see the thing in action. Also, maybe a close up on that oak?