PDA

View Full Version : Wow, the jointer works!

Tom Hamilton
05-18-2006, 9:17 PM
Hi Creekers:

My poor old 1950 BC 6" jointer had not been used since I acquired it in 2002. It sat beside the table saw, part of the "Combo" package that year, with knives sat flush with the cutter head.

Not long ago I discovered OWWM forum and after lurking for awhile, I asked about changing knives on this machine.

Low and behold, one of the members sent me a DVD of the video Bob Vaugh made for FWW.

So, today, I installed and tested the new knives. Armed with a dial gauge and a homemade wrench, per the video instructions, the old knives came out and the new ones went in. It is a trial and error process, finally they all came into specs. 38795

First a scrap 2X4 went through and came out smooth; then a rough cedar fence panel.

Wow, it worked!

I'm off to the wood store tomorrow to get rough saw lumber. Yahoo!

Tom, in Houston, listening to the hum of the "new" jointer!

Seth Poorman
05-18-2006, 9:53 PM
Good deal Tom
Glad to hear joiner works good, next time you change knifes try carbide knifes they stay sharper a lot longer.
I love dem dare old american wood machines. :D
Im a hoosier too. :D

Corey Hallagan
05-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Sweet and congrats. Does it not have a guard? If not could make one. Be careful and enjoy!!

Corey

Jerry Olexa
05-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Congrats...Its a great feeling when you get it back up and running...Good job..Ive never yet changed blades on my planer

Tom Hamilton
05-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Corey it does have a guard, the original cast aluminum one. It hinges down out of the way for maintenance and photo-ops! :D

Tom

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Good Job on getting that old piece of iron back to work!

Enjoy!

Corvin Alstot
05-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Tom/
Pretty cool.
Nice to get that great jointer up and running. I think you will be glad
you have it now in operation and wonder why you waited so so long
to fix it.

Now that you have it working it begs the question . .
Where are you buying your lumber?
What are you going to make?

Corvin