PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2: Opinions

Bob Weisner
05-18-2006, 5:04 PM
Anyone tried the new Beta 2 version of Internet Explorer 7 ?

How does it compare to IE 6 ?

J.D.Redwine
05-18-2006, 8:43 PM
It's good but Avant is better.

Bob Weisner
05-19-2006, 10:19 AM
what is Avant?

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-19-2006, 2:07 PM
explorer will always prove to be have prooblems with privacy and vulnerability. IT uses so very much Active X that it allows outsiders to grab control over your box without you knowing it. That as an issue has gotten less and less of an epidemic as it used to be but it remains a risk.

Explorer and Netscape use their browsers to do data gathering on your internet preferences and purchases and report them to marketing offices at microsoft and netscape who in torn sell it to marketing people.

J.D.Redwine
05-21-2006, 6:25 PM
what is Avant?
"Avant Browser, the top rated multi-window browser in Internet, which adds a batch of features and functionalities to Internet Explorer. Avant Browser is the fastest web browser on Earth. Its user-friendly interface brings a new level of clarity and efficiency to your browsing experience, and frequent upgrades have steadily improved its reliability." .....it is approved by Microsoft and works really well for me. Try it you may like it. http://www.avantbrowser.com/

Rick Doyle
05-21-2006, 7:44 PM
a lot of people knock microsoft's internet explorer but it continues to dominate the market. sure it's because of windows etc. and marketing, but there have been competitors around for a long time who offer their products for free like 'avant' - but, they have problems too, like this:

Avant Browser Security Problems - Description:
Secunia Research has discovered two vulnerabilities in Avant Browser, which can be exploited by malicious web sites to obtain sensitive information and spoof dialog boxes.

1) Inactive tabs can launch dialog boxes so they appear to be displayed by a web site in another tab. This can be exploited by a malicious web site to show a dialog box, which seems to originate from a trusted web site.

Successful exploitation would normally require that a user is tricked into opening a link from a malicious web site to a trusted web site in a new tab.

A test is available here:
http://secunia.com/multiple_browsers_dialog_box_spoofing_test/ (http://secunia.com/multiple_browsers_dialog_box_spoofing_test/)

2) Inactive tabs can gain focus from form fields on web sites in another tab. This can potentially be exploited to collect sensitive data entered in form fields on other web sites.

Successful exploitation would normally require that a user is tricked into opening a link from a malicious web site to a trusted web site in a new tab.

the new beta version of explorer has many of the features touted in avant. i think i'll just wait until the final version of i.e. 7 is released before i give it a try. i've never had any real issues with i.e. as long as i keep my updates current.