PDA

View Full Version : Preparing Wood For Turning?

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-03-2003, 10:03 PM
I forgot to ask this earlier, so here goes. Is the any information on the Net showing the best procedure for cutting Logs for future turning Blanks? I was thinking along the lines of just cutting the logs into 12" or so sections, and then quartering them, sealing the End Grain, and letting them dry. Am I on the right track, or is there a more proper or better way to go about this? I am taking several trees down Saturday, and I would rather not screw up a bunch of good turning wood. Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated! (You wouldn't want me to mess up this wood now would ya............I may be giving some of it to my Sawmill Creek Friends, like Jim suggested.) :D

Tom Sweeney
09-03-2003, 10:30 PM
You got it bad - & I don't think you even have your lathe yet do you? :rolleyes:

Congrats on all the free turning wood. If you have any nice streaked box elder that you need to get rid of - well you know!

As to prepping bowl blanks from logs you might want to visit our own Bill Grumbine's web site

http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/logcutting.html

He has a nice little tutorial on cutting up logs for bowl balanks.

Have fun! I'm just sorry we won't be seeing anymore of your great flat work ;)

David Peebles
09-03-2003, 10:35 PM
Hello Kevin,

Check out Bill Grumbines site for a great tutorial on converting logs to turning blanks.

I do it almost the same way. I do turn many of the blanks from green to finished in one session.

I do this mostly for blanks that will end up as natural edge bowls.

But Bill's procedure is one of the best I have ever seen on the web for sawing up logs, he has some great pics too!!

Dave

http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/logcutting.html

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-03-2003, 11:25 PM
Thanks Tom & Dave. I have checked out Bill's Site, and the information and photo's are the BEST! Many thanks to Bill for sharing his technique and taking the time to do the tutorial. I think I have it figured out...........good thing too, because I was WAY off track on my thinking of how this is accomplished. Hopefully, the Box Elder has the nice red/orange streaking, I will know Saturday! I haven't given up on the Flat Work Tom, just putting it on the back burner until I figure out a way to climb back up this slippery slope! :p I will be getting my Lathe in the morning, so it will probably be a restless night............can ya tell I am like a kid at Christmas? :D Hopefully, I will be adept enough at Turning in a short while to share some of my attempts with everyone here. First and foremost is to learn to turn SAFELY, I think my Uncle has me well on my way with that. ;)

Tom Sweeney
09-04-2003, 2:19 PM
It's not just a river in Egypt ;) (Ok it sounds better than it writes)
Have fun Kevin - it is addicting. I just negotiated with my accounting department to free up some funds for a lesson with Bill Grumbine - I can't wait!

Of course after the lessons there's a tool grinding setup, a few different chucks, better gouges, the lathe will definately need to be upgraded, etc... Man I better get some of my honeydo stuff done so I'm in a better bargaining position :D

I haven't given up on the Flat Work Tom, just putting it on the back burner until I figure out a way to climb back up this slippery slope! :p I will be getting my Lathe in the morning, so it will probably be a restless night............can ya tell I am like a kid at Christmas? :

Ted Owen
09-04-2003, 5:42 PM
Of course after the lessons there's a tool grinding setup, a few different chucks, better gouges, the lathe will definately need to be upgraded, etc... Man I better get some of my honeydo stuff done so I'm in a better bargaining position :D

Tom, I can almost see the glee on your face at the thought of yet another woodworker sliding down that turning slope. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

I've just received two more pen-turning packages from Penn State and Berea. It looks like pens for Christmas and birthday presents for everybody for the next 10 years.

Gotta say in all seriousness, I've never seen a wood as amazing as Amboyna burl. Incredible.

Best, Ted